• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Valve Cover/Fan Clutch Source

Flyfisher

NAXJA Forum User
Long story short...got a crack in the valve cover for an '89 Waggie 4.0. Searched on-line...finding prices of $250 for my year, but about $100 for '93 up. What's the deal? Cracked it trying to pry off the thermostat cover...was stuck something good!

Also, while I have it torn apart, looking to replace the fan clutch. The old girl has 298k on the engine with the original fan clutch. Cannot remember the ZJ replacement...and cannot find with a search. Any help here is appreciated. Also, any suggestions for a fan shroud?

Thanks in advance!

Fan clutch upgrade is the 4.0 non-hd cooling zj fan clutch. Works good, but sounds like a turbine when it gets going.
As far as the valve cover price difference, I believe that year split was right about when the vc changed from the earlier aluminum cover to steel.

You can use the 93 up vc. If you do, you'll have to use the 93 up vc gasket and CCV system. PM xjtrailrider if you go this route. He has done this swap and can give you any pointers you might need.

Both of my RENIX's are on HO valve covers. I have two perfect valve covers I will sell you! LOL!

Yep the HO cover fits fine. I do recommend drilling out the HO CCV orifice slightly so you idle doesn't tank out. Try it first though before you drill.

Not all HO 4.0 valve covers are stamped steel. My 1991 HO valve cover is cast aluminum. Looking on Rockauto, it looks like 1996 is the first year for the stamped steel valve cover. So any year 1995 and down will have the cast aluminum valve cover. Cheap at junkyard.

Not all HO 4.0 valve covers are stamped steel. My 1991 HO valve cover is cast aluminum. Looking on Rockauto, it looks like 1996 is the first year for the stamped steel valve cover. So any year 1995 and down will have the cast aluminum valve cover. Cheap at junkyard.

My 94 has the same aluminum valve cover as the RENIX models, thats getting ready to change though when it gets its new low mileage '96 4.0 to replace the smoking worn out dog thats in there.

Which is the most desirable VC, aluminum or stamped steel?

I would think the cast aluminum valve cover is the best for a couple of reasons;

1-Much stiffer construction. The gasket rail resists deforming much better than stamped steel.
2-Machined gasket surfaces. Superior sealing.
3-Dissipates heat much better than stamped steel.

Whereas the stamped steel valve cover's gasket rail distorts very easily with slight over tightening of the bolts.

This is why the high performance crowd uses the aluminum over the stamped steel.

Back