• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

multiple issues

hot1le

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I bought a 2000 cherokee 4x4 Auto about a month ago. It has 177,000 miles. When I first got it I noticed that it had a high idle of around 1400 in park. The fuel gauge was also not working. So I checked all the fuses first and found the f22 fuse blown in the PDC. I believe that this is for the fuel pump, although it was running with it blown. Next I cleaned the IAC with no luck, so I bought a new MOPAR IAC. When I installed it the idle would stay around 2000 rpm until I touched the throttle and it would jump up to around 3000 rpm. Every once in a while I get the no bus message and it doesnt shift right, but if I let it sit a few minutes the no bus goes away and it shifts normal. I took the new IAC and plugged it into the connector ( it wasnt mounted ) to see if it would move and it does nothing like it is dead. Do you guys think that I have an electrical problem that is causing all of this or do you think it is all unrelated? I have been messing with for a month now and it is driving me crazy. It runs great other than these things and the check engine light on at all times. Thanks for any responses.

So I took it to advance auto this afternoon and they did a load test on the battery and also checked the alternator. Well both of them failed so I got a new battery and the alternator will be here tomorrow. I did try to put the New IAC back on after replacing the battery and the idle is still up around 2000rpm's. I hope when I get the alternator put on tomorrow it will solve this check engine light/high idle ordeal.

Ok so advance auto checked the battery and alternator both were bad, so I changed them both out. Still have the extremely high idle. I did notice in the morning when the jeep is cold it only idles about 1100 then when it warms up it goes to 2000, and if I touch the throttle it shoots to 3000. I pulled the harness apart and found no bad wires I also cleaned all grounds. I am out of ideas. Does anyone think that the PCM is bad causing this? Is there a way to check the PCM? Thanks

Would'nt a vacuum leak cause a high idle whether the engine was cold or hot?

Honestly - I don't know. Unfortunately, I come here with more questions than answers

I do know that the high idle from manifold leak can come and go with engine temp - based on my experience.

I trouble shot it with a can of starter fluid, was able to pin point the leaks.

Just wanted to give everyone an update. It was the PCM, as a matter of fact when I replaced the PCM my Gas also started to work. Go figure, guess I should have replaced that first since thats what I thought it was in the first place, but everyone said no way its the PCM, even the guy that sold it to me.LOL

Back