• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Putting a 94 XJ engine into a 2001

XJWheelie

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1994 and would like to put that engine into my 2001. Just my opinion, but I think that it's a better design than the 2001 and I don't have to worry about getting it checked to comply with emission standards, if that matters.

I know that the heads, along with the exhaust and intake are completely different, as is the computer. What I'm wondering is can I swap out the engine and then plug in the 94 computer or does it come down to some serious wiring work on the wiring harness?

I'd like to do this, but if it's going to be a royal pain in the ass then I'll pass on it and do something more constructive.

You cannot put the 94 computer in the 2001. To do so, would require swapping over every wire harness, and the complete dashboard as well from the 94 to the 01.

Any 1990-2001 XJ Cherokee or 1993-98 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 L engine block will interchange.

Remove and re-use as needed or required from the original engine: Intake/Exhaust manifolds, flex plate/flywheel, cylinder head, distributor-less ignition or distributor assembly, engine sensors, fan belt driven accessories and mounting brackets.

Last edited:
flexplate is the same on those two vehicles.

Yeah that is gonna involve a lot of work.

The only real benefit to the older engine is the better head. There are ways to adapt an older head to the newer emissions system, or you can save yourself a lot of hassle by getting a new 0331 casting for a couple hundred bucks or a TUPY 0331 casting for 50-100 at the junkyard.

That's what I was afraid of, a boatload of work without enough benefit.

Thanks for the input.

Back