• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1997 Cherokee dome lights always on

mtc198459

NAXJA Forum User
I was driving my 1997 cherokee monday and and hit a bump in the road after that the interior lights (overhead console, foot lamps, and rear hatch light came on. All the doors are shut and they are still on.

What i have done so far to diagnose. Removed all 4 door switches and checedk them all good. also left all of them unplugged and the lights are still on. unplugged rear hatch switch in latch and they are still on, unplugged rear dome light with override switch, still on, unplugged headlight switch, still on, unplugged circuit board in overhead console for keyless entry, still on, unpluged complete hatch harness, still on. pulled fuse 16 in pass kick panel, still on. pulled fuse 16 in passenger fuse box, still on, pulled fuse 16 underhood lights go out. unplugged headlight delay module, still on, ive exhuasted searchs for wiring diagrams or further help over the last 2 days. i have come up with nothing

Last edited:
Have you tried disconnecting the battery yet? If they stay on you have a possessed XJ and need a priest! Sounds like you pretty much tried it all. Time for a good jeep mechanic! Good Luck!

ok just to follow up on the my problem. I took the jeep to a local shop that specializes in wiring problems and they found the harness right under the seatbelt re-tractor on the drivers side floor had corroded at the plug for the drivers rear door switch. the plug then goes about about a foot up the b pillar to the door switch for the rear door. this plug corroded enough to short. because the rockers are heavily rusted on my jeep saltwater had been getting up there. i but spliced the wires together with heat shrink and eliminated the plug. only bad news is paying 2 hours of labor for them to find it... ouch!

Thank you so much for posting where they found it I'm a local mechanic in ma and have been struggling with a customers truck for 2 days I've got every panel torn out of this truck and even swapped out the switches for my own in my truck lol thank you I would have never found that it's buried in there thank you again

Back