• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 XJ Buckle/Stuttering/Dies when hot

SacXJguy

NAXJA Forum User
My jeep has been recently blessed with this major issue recently, i'd like to get some advice before i throw it in a shop and have it fixed.

Some backstory:

This issue has been around for a little while now and has progressed to getting worse, it used to only happen once in a blue moon until recently its been almost impossible to drive to the store and especially on the trail. It seems to happen when the jeep gets to or close to running temperature ~210. Ive gone a whole wheeling trip without having it act up and then turning the jeep off and on would give immediate issues; rough idle/stutter/bucking when giving gas until it gets to the point of dying and waiting for the jeep to cool. I can also get lucky sometimes and revving my jeep to high RPM's sometimes fixes it and the jeep runs fine.

Things that have been replaced recently:
TPS -Autozone
CPS- Autozone
IGN Coil- Autozone
Cap/Rotor/Plugs/Wires-NAPA
IAC- Cleaned
Fuel Filter -Autozone

==============
The only reason I considered the MAP sensor was because when this happened once it threw up a CEL and found this:

51 Oxygen sensor stuck at lean position (this may be tripped by a bad MAP sensor system causing a rich condition. If you get hot rough idle and stalling, especially on deceleration, accompanied by flooded engine and difficulty restarting, that can be a bad MAP sensor causing the O2 sensor to try to compensate. If you get poor cold driveability, stumbling and bucking, and acceptable warm driving with poor gas mileage (a drop of 10 mpg or more), that is usually the O2 sensor.
OR
51 Internal logic module fault ('84 turbo only).

**MAP SENSOR replaced, but one from the JY (n) --->low on funds<---
**Seemed to fix my stuttering/bucking when first starting in the morning (not the issue anymore)
==============

I've been considering my o2 sensors but havent dropped in on it since im running low on funds ATM, but im guessing my rear o2 is shot since i ran without a CAT for a month before i got my new one in.

Advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Last edited:
Back