• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Up Country Leaf Packs Help

NECherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I have a completely stock 98 sport 6cyl and the rear leafs are sagging bad. I'm going put the up country leafs in it because they are rated at 755 lbs and I do a decent of amount of towing (boats and sleds) throughout the year.

I have been looking around for the best price and in doing so I've found two part numbers for the crown replacement packs, 4886186AB and 4886186AA. Does anyone know if they are the same product or is there something i should be looking out for? thanks

I installed a set of 755lb leafs from Crown a few months ago on one of the xjs we have a work. Within 3 months the rear end was lower than the old saggy ones so I installed mj shackles on it. It was good for a couple more months, now its back down to lower than factory. We have the best luck just adding a xj main with the eyes cut off to the factory spring pack.

^that's not normal.

they offer 5 different replacement spring packs (no idea why). The only ones I recommend are the 4886186 (last two letters don't really matter aa/ab). I ran them on 2 of my XJ's and they did started out higher, and settle to 1 3/4" over stock. Last XJ I had them in regularly had 500+ lbs in the back every other week for 2 years and they held up great.

Skinny, that doesn't seem normal to me either but thanks for the precaution.

So it sounds like the answers to my original question is the AA/AB doesnt matter.

I think I will go with a set of these and when they start to sag again either add another main leaf minus the eyelets or go shackles. I am trying to be no more than a 1 inch lift to avoid t case issues so I'm not sure a bastard pack would be my answer. I'v read people frequently use S-10 leafs but I think that will result in more of a lift than I am looking for. At the end of the day I would really just like some extra strength when towing especially with a full cab.

Hey guys,

I have a completely stock 98 sport 6cyl and the rear leafs are sagging bad. I'm going put the up country leafs in it because they are rated at 755 lbs and I do a decent of amount of towing (boats and sleds) throughout the year.

I have been looking around for the best price and in doing so I've found two part numbers for the crown replacement packs, 4886186AB and 4886186AA. Does anyone know if they are the same product or is there something i should be looking out for? thanks

Is the rating 755 lbs for each side ... 1510 lbs total?

I am not sure about Crown or OE leaf packs part numbers, could it be for a camber specification?

OME rear leafs have left and right side part numbers. The reason is to offset driver and other vehicle weights. One side has a different camber than the other.

Last edited:
I've been well pleased with the expensive OME, (Old Man Emu), coils, leafs, and shocks from ARBUSA.com. You can call 'em, and they will of course set you up to meet your needs, and bird dog you to an outlet closest to your area. I've blown through so many suspension systems in various vehicles in Alaska, I got just plain tired of it all, and went with the Aussie stuff.., knowing that their roads suck too. Guess it all comes down to what your roads are like, the off roading you want to do, and your wallet, anyways.

4886186 is the correct number for the 755 / up country spring.

I recently installed a set of Crown 4886186 along with a Iron Rock full length add a leaf that I had put in my previous semi - tired stock leaf packs.
It had about 2,000 miles on it and a few good trail runs.

The pics are as it is now with 31's after a few hundred miles and one Dishpan run.
It also has the red / black Rubicon shocks on the rear. This is a nice combo.

Alaskan: Its completely a money thing. If i had the pockets for OME packs, or any suspension components for that matter I would have them in a heart beat. They make nothing but great products as far as i can tell. I don't think I've ever read a bad OME review! One day ill get them!

DK: Thats a great looking Jeep man! So it seems you are pretty satisfied with the crown up country leafs? I think I'm going to get them. I think they'll make a great base if i decide to add any leafs/bastard pack it as you did. BTW whats that spare tire carrier you've got on there. Looks pretty simple and clean, I like it.

DK: So it seems you are pretty satisfied with the crown up country leafs? I think I'm going to get them. I think they'll make a great base if i decide to add any leafs/bastard pack it as you did. BTW whats that spare tire carrier you've got on there. Looks pretty simple and clean, I like it.

I think that for the $ yes, they make a good base to add to, just do it when they are fresh and haven't had time to sack.

BTW, Amazon is the cheapest if you have Prime shipping as I do. No shipping cost and 2 days to my front porch.
I got the leafs and 4 bushings for $ 237.83

Re: the tire carrier, homemade.

1998 OEM Rear springs p/ns
----------------------------------
52000050AB 1 [ZFS,ZUS]
52000051AB 1 [ZFT,ZUT]
52000544AB 1 [ZGS,ZVS]
52000545AB 1 [ZGT,ZVT]
52000706AB 1 [ZFU,ZUU]
52000707AB 1 [ZGU,ZVU]
52002390AB 1 [ZGV,ZVV]
52002392AB 1 [ZGW,ZVW]

Does anyone know the spring rates?

The 7" arch spring shows a 755 load rating ... is there some sort of spring rate (lbs per inch) ?

A spring rate is the number of lbs it takes to compress a spring one inch. (lbf/in.)

Last edited:
The Dorman brand springs raised the back of my 98s rear 1.5" about 2 years ago and still at that height. around 100 each. I also keep about 150 LBS of tools in the rear also. Good springs at a reasonable price.

Ron

The Dorman brand springs raised the back of my 98s rear 1.5" about 2 years ago and still at that height. around 100 each. I also keep about 150 LBS of tools in the rear also. Good springs at a reasonable price.

Ron

I installed these some years ago, as part of a kit with shocks and front springs, ... carrying a payload haven't sagged. ... the leafs are 4+1 variable rate ... primary and secondary flat leaf for constant loads. .. A little softer when riding on primary springs until you add extra weight the spring rate goes up and begin to stiffen.

$125.36 each

http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/-p-8819.html?gclid=CNjI7IL84bsCFWMV7Aod4mkApw

The spring rates - primary = 137 lbf/in secondary = 257 lbf/in

Dakar Part No. OME Part No. Height Leaves Front Rear (kg) Free lbf / in N / mm
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CS035RA OMEJC2A 37.0 4 + 1 62.0 43.5 20.9 235 137 / 257 24 / 45
CS035RB OMEJC2B 37.0 4 + 1 62.0 43.5 20.9 210 137 / 257 24 / 45

The different part numbers have different cambers for left & right (driver and passenger) sides.

These add approx. ~2" lift +/- ... depending on the weight of the vehicle, constant payload, shocks & front springs.

There is also an extra leaf which adds approx. 1 inch lift and increases the primary leafs by approx 15 %.

with extra leaf D22XL ... Primary - ~157 lbf/in / Secondary - ~277 lbf/in

Last edited:
Dorman only sells the one set.

I thought of buying these from Rock Auto but shipping was about $48.

It should be cheaper to buy them from Amazon.

Rock Auto is probably easier to warranty through. I have heard Amazon is not the best with honoring manufacturer warranties and it takes some pestering for them to agree to it. By the time the warranty is needed things may have changed for better or worse.

My Dormans arrive before the weekend. I'll let you know how they turn out. I have another thread on this.

Ooooooooo linkage? Wanting to just replace all my suspension pieces with upcountry parts. Not looking for a "big" lift. Just a bit over stock.

Back