• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

starting over... xj lift

kt91gt

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for some experience tips on lifting my new jeep
Wreaked my 2" lifted 98xj, was mostly prepared to go to 31/2" pieced together..now robbing parts off to go straight to 3 1/2 on '99.. anyway

Q. 1: have a trans crossmember 1" drop "kit" which is just 4 spacers and 4 bolts, but 2 of factory fasteners are studs.. so do I cut off studs and drill/ tap?

Q. 2: new jeep '99 has D35 w abs, like to swap for the 8.25 in wrecked '98 when I do lift, why not right? Running 31" I wheel it but not extreme, daily driver
far as I know simple, ratios should be same, (ill check tags) just pull some abs relays somewhere, larger u-bolts, aside from the obvious? Any tips?
Want to make it all a flawless timely swap/ lift
Any tips appreciated..

have adjustable lower control arms
New leafs/ bolts. & coils
Adjustable Track bar
Extended brakelines, bump stops, shocks

I would strongly suggest doing a slip yoke eliminator. It's actually really easy and is a better way of doing things.

Looking for some experience tips on lifting my new jeep
Wreaked my 2" lifted 98xj, was mostly prepared to go to 31/2" pieced together..now robbing parts off to go straight to 3 1/2 on '99.. anyway

Q. 1: have a trans crossmember 1" drop "kit" which is just 4 spacers and 4 bolts, but 2 of factory fasteners are studs.. so do I cut off studs and drill/ tap?

I would try and back out the studs - they are just screwed in.

Q. 2: new jeep '99 has D35 w abs, like to swap for the 8.25 in wrecked '98 when I do lift, why not right? Running 31" I wheel it but not extreme, daily driver
far as I know simple, ratios should be same, (ill check tags) just pull some abs relays somewhere, larger u-bolts, aside from the obvious? Any tips?
The 8.25 doesn't have abs, so I think you will end up sacrificing the abs.

Want to make it all a flawless timely swap/ lift
Any tips appreciated..

have adjustable lower control arms
New leafs/ bolts. & coils
Adjustable Track bar
Extended brakelines, bump stops, shocks

Spray everything with penetrating oil a week before you decide to hit it. It will make things easier.

A SYE conversion for the rear shaft of the '99 is relatively inexpensive if you use a Hack N Tap yoke and a front driveshaft, but will require you shimming the rear axle to adjust the pinion angle. I'm not sure of the cost benefit though as I haven't had an issue @ 3" of lift with vibrations or yoke travel.

Help a buddy do the hack n tap on what is now another project of mine. Seems like lot of bs work, don't know where he got the yoke
If I do one of the $200 slip yoke eliminater tail section can I use a front drive shaft and shims.... Does same thing as hack n tap right

You can put two nuts on the stud, then turn the but closest to the frame rail to remove the stud.

ive never done it without use of flame....very easy to strip the threads and nuts before you get them out of the frame....

ive never done it without use of flame....very easy to strip the threads and nuts before you get them out of the frame....

When I installed my long arm crossmember I did this. Came out pretty easy, of course after a month bathing in PB Blaster and a good power washing before hand.

I'd also suggest just going the SYE route. You're going to need a new driveshaft when changing from a D35 to C8.25 anyway as the pinions are different lengths. Why screw around when you can do it right the first time?

at 2" its not needed... (thats not to say its not a wise investment)

the easy thing to do when swapping in an 8.25 would be to also grab the drive shaft from the donor vehicle (assuming it also has the same motor/trans/Tcase combo)

I've been told for 3.5" you need cross men drop or SYE. Do avoid vibration and to far out on tail shaft... Is this true?
had 2" on old with no changes.. no problems.. that's with 231tc and 8.25 axle

It's hit and miss but most people will say, with good cause, that at 3.5" lift on a late model you will probably get driveshaft vibrations.
This will in part depend on how you get that 3.5" lift.
On my '98, with a 1.5" shackle lift, I noticed vibes. Hard not to, actually. The shackle changes the pinion angle more degrees per inch of lift than a spring lift does. If you are doing 3" spring pack, it might not be so bad.
Either way, I'd lift it and see how you like it. Go from there.

Back