• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does this sound like an exhaust leak?

kdailey4315

NAXJA Forum User
Noticed a ticking noise today while the XJ was idling. Does it sound like an exhaust leak to you? As I moved the camera it sounded a little more pronounced around the middle cylinders.

That's where my original one cracked. This is an APN replacement that's been on for 3 years but only has about 1500 miles on it.

Sounds like either the gasket is slightly leaking, or its just normal injector noise. Doesn't sound like anything internal.

Get yourself a doctor's stethoscope (~$20) and replace the sensor head with a 12" length
of brass tubing. It's great for probing and pinpointing air or vacuum leaks whenever your
engine develops a hissy fit.

I'm fairly certain I have a leak. When I started it yesterday morning I could see exhaust coming up from the manifold. I'm going to go through and double check all the bolts to make sure they're tight.

Back