• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

? for those that have built their own winch bumpers

dfjeepster

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I've been looking at tons of threads and pics and I am in the middle of the cardboard mock up stage on my front bumper and am trying to decide which way I want to go with my winch mount location. As of now I have a set of the JCR unibody tie ins that I will be mounting up and then I will be bolting the bumper on tying into them so strength should not be an issue. I do not want it hanging out 12" in front of the grille so my options are as follows:
1- Go low, cut out the front crossmember and mount the winch feet forward into a 6" C channel bumper like the ORS Stubby bumper but full width
2- High and tight, using a winch channel mount (I already have) keep the winch up top, trim the mount and weld it on to some brackets keeping the winch in tight to the front crossmember and notch the grille to fit around it. I should be able to limit it to only stick out 4" or 5" from the grille. Then fab the rest of the bumper, either tube work or 2x2
3- Screw the winch, fab up an easy, tight fitting bumper with shackle mounts and call it a day, nobody "needs" a winch anyways
So those of you who have fabled up your own bumper what did you do and would you do it again, why, why not? Any different options out there that might work better?

Another option would be building a sleek front bumper with shackle mounts and also a 2 inch hitch receiver. Then you can still mount a winch mounted to a hitch cradle whenever you need it, also very useful if you have a rear hitch. Just run the wiring to the front and rear with heavy duty quick connects.

Last edited:
Here is mine. sticks out 10 inches plus the fairlead. real good approach angle.
bth_finishedwinch005.jpg

bth_finishedwinch003.jpg
I had the winch so I figured why not use it. but I did use 3/8 plate under the winch just incase I decide to go to a modern winch

As of right now, I'm utilizing option 3. Awesome approach angle, and so far I haven't wheeled in a group without a winch, so not having my own hasn't been a problem. But at some point in most of my wheeling trips, we've managed to get to a point where a winch is necessary, so if it weren't for the other people with winches, I'd be getting one sooner than I'm currently planning for.

When I get around to buying my own winch, I'll be switching to option 1. I like my approach angle right now, and even high and tight will still make it worse than what I have now. I don't honestly think it'll be that much more work to make it fit, but from what I've read, it's a really good idea to have the winch in hand before building or cutting anything.

I was in the same boat when it came time to build a bumper. I saved the money I was going to spend on a winch and bought another locker and built a very tight bumper like you described in option 3. I don't play in mud and most parks and trails I go to have bypasses if I can't conquer the rock(s) so I have never needed a winch, but if I do get a winch I will be cutting the front crossmember out and mounting it there. No brainer. I think bumpers like ARB and other big ones that stick out look so useless with all the added weight when you can mount a winch in a better location. Good Luck!

Another option would be building a sleek front bumper with shackle mounts and also a 2 inch hitch receiver. Then you can still mount a winch mounted to a hitch cradle whenever you need it, also very useful if you have a rear hitch. Just run the wiring to the front and rear with heavy duty quick connects.

Thanks I have been considering this too, I used to run a setup like this on my old Bronco and it worked ok

I am pretty sure its 2x8 1/4''. I cut just enough out of the cross member to slide the winch through. But I think after adding a bumper like that you could remove it completely with no ill effects.

I choose option 2. I cut the grill to fit around the winch. The main thing I did was utilized some tow hook mounts (see below) that had several bolts to bolt the bumper to the jeep. Not much to look at but nice and strong.
Logan-20130302-00460_zpsaef3aaef.jpg

I just Used a 6' stick of u channel. cut bent and rewelded. I have about 50 bucks in it. Plus the D rings from napa.

That look really nice. My idea of a winch bumper. I especially like the fact that it do not stick out much more than the OEM bumper. Well done indeed.

Just an observation,... it appear that just under the winch(center of bumper) a piece was added on. Is it a 1 inch or a 2 inch drop? If memory serves me right, the winch measures more than 6 inches. On second thought, since the winch seem to be mounted feet forward, 6 inches may be enough to accommodate it.

2x5 with 2x2 welded to the bottom, back is notched put to fit around the winch

bumpa.jpg

I have built three bumpers, going 3, 2 and 1 in the order you gave.

#3. Didnt have a winch, didnt see the need and was too expensive. First true fab experience. Used 1/8'' wall 2x4 and 1/4" plate. Worked well, but did not incorporate steering box bolts.

#2. Bought winch, built heavy bumper, but tucked it high and tight. At the time it was pretty cool. I had not seen any being done this way.

#1. Got tired of the crummy aproach angles on the previous bumper. Was not scared to cut any longer, so removed the front cross member and built a bumper as close to the body as I could. Used 0.120 wall 1-3/4 tube, 1/8", 1/4" , 3/16" and 1/4" plate. Works thus far...

The last two have build threads on here. Search homemade winch bumper or something to that extent in Mod tech and advanced tech.

I like #1 option the best, but it is not for the faint of heart.

Been extremely happy with my actionfab winch bumper.

Tucks the warn m8000 perfect

That look really nice. My idea of a winch bumper. I especially like the fact that it do not stick out much more than the OEM bumper. Well done indeed.

Just an observation,... it appear that just under the winch(center of bumper) a piece was added on. Is it a 1 inch or a 2 inch drop? If memory serves me right, the winch measures more than 6 inches. On second thought, since the winch seem to be mounted feet forward, 6 inches may be enough to accommodate it.

I did add alittle to the bottom to fit the winch. I removed the lower lip, bolted the winch on and rebuilt the lip as tight to it as possible.

I also made plates for the outside of the frame to sandwich the bumper. And made a steering box spacer while I was there.

I welded the plates on after the pics.

Ok I have no problem cutting my crossmember to fit it in there and really prefer that look but have a few concerns for the winch down there. Most of my winch use would be stuck in mud, sand or snow, not necessarily rocks. Also I use my winch for things other than recovery like dragging logs, pulling fence posts, etc... So has anyone had any problems with their winch getting buried down there or being able to access the freespool lever when needed? It just seems like staying up in the grille would make winch use easier or is this a non issue?

I have built three bumpers, going 3, 2 and 1 in the order you gave.

#3. Didnt have a winch, didnt see the need and was too expensive. First true fab experience. Used 1/8'' wall 2x4 and 1/4" plate. Worked well, but did not incorporate steering box bolts.

#2. Bought winch, built heavy bumper, but tucked it high and tight. At the time it was pretty cool. I had not seen any being done this way.

#1. Got tired of the crummy aproach angles on the previous bumper. Was not scared to cut any longer, so removed the front cross member and built a bumper as close to the body as I could. Used 0.120 wall 1-3/4 tube, 1/8", 1/4" , 3/16" and 1/4" plate. Works thus far...

The last two have build threads on here. Search homemade winch bumper or something to that extent in Mod tech and advanced tech.

I like #1 option the best, but it is not for the faint of heart.

Thanks I've read both your bumper builds and actually really like both versions

Ok been looking at tons of pics and build threads and studying my front end and I think I'm going to go with cutting out the crossmember. I will make up my side plates to tie into the JCR plates and cut down the winch mounting channel I have and weld the mounting plates to it so the winch will sit feet forward. Ill have to fill some holes in the channel and cut a slot for the cable but that shouldn't be a big deal. I will then make up some outer protection and maybe a small hoop from some tube depending on what I can get my hands on for cheap. For those with the winch mounted this way, how much is it offset to the passenger side from center to clear the steering box?

Back