• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Longer Driveshaft

White97

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 XJ 4.0 auto with 3 inch lift NP231 C8.25 rear axle stock driveline...I have no vibs with the 3 inch lift but it did pull the driveline from the TC out put shaft about 1-2 inches, the stock driveline is just over 27 inches, is it possible to use a driveline from a manual trans XJ to correct this? I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) the manual trans rear driveline is around 29 or 30 inches and would I be able to use the yoke from my original 29 spline? has anyone done this before? Thanks!

the rear shaft from a manual is indeed longer.

but id be prudent using one. if you get your jeep hopping, air it out or anything else, and a hard landing gets your suspension to compress down to factory ride height, youll likely send that longer shaft through your transfer case.

From the lift it has pulled about an 1 1/2 from its stock position on the TC out put shaft...so it wouldnt work using a DS that is around 29 inches? my thinking was it would compensate for the 1-2 inches lost to the lift...I have no Vibs so didnt really want to go with the SYE and new DS...I dont think it needs all that it drives great I was just a little worried about over flexing and having the DS come off of the shaft itself it is only a 3 inch lift so there isnt a lot of flex but wasnt sure if it would be an issue or not...

its really not needed. ill reword the problem i state above for you... if you have a longer than stock shaft in there, and manage to compress the suspension enough, your going to bottom out the (now longer than stock) driveshaft into your transfer case. then something goes boom. if you have no vibes, and are happy with the ride, i wouldnt worry about it.

FWIW, i never managed to pull my stock shaft out of the case on 4.5". and ive had the suspension drooped completely out on a lift.

OK, sounds good...Just got a little worried when I saw fresh clean splines peaking out that used to be covered with the rubber boot...lol Thanks!

Back