• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Are both UCAs necessary?

ArmyDad

NAXJA Forum User
I've been researching the 3-link/4-link differences, opinions, performance, etc for some time now and had a question.

My XJ has JKS UCAs and LCAs combined with a Control Arm Drop Bracket and it works great for my purposes so far.

There has been many a discussion about the 3-link being a bit more flexy and less stressful on some of the attachment points than 4-link, all else being equal.

Would removing the passenger side UCA improve things? Thanks!!
=====

If you have rubber joints anywhere, including at the axle end of the uca, you can't remove one. There is too much deflection in the rubber.

You'd have to cut the mounts off and go with all solid mounts (rod ends, johnny joints, etc).

Neither the axle side upper brackets nor the frame side upper brackets are capable of doing all of the work of a single upper.

To go 3 link you would have to seriously beef up the upper control arm mounts and replace the single upper control arm with a much beefier arm. I would also beef up both of the lowers and the mounts for them. There are some good 4 link setups out there that flex very well. IMHO the difference between 3 and 4 link setups in terms of flex is not worth losing the extra strength of 4 links unless you have very specific needs like racing etc.

Back