• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cam indexing

camojeep88

NAXJA Forum User
I'm baffled on what I am doing wrong or what may or may not be messed up. I am checking the cam timing on my 88 xj. Pulled timing cover and number 1 spark plug. Felt for compression stroke and made sure I was at TDC. The index marks on cam and crank gear at both at 11 o'clock try to re index the cam to how my repair manual says and it goes back to the same place. Am I freaking out over nothing or is this correct? I have a comp cam in it nothing special please any help would be great

The cam and crank marks need to be towards each other, not both at 11. Look at the valve springs like the angelfire link says. You might be on exhaust stroke of #1.

Digger......whats with the #6? Bad advice.

Anyone else chime in if I'm wrong.

Not bad advice. Look it up. When #1 is at tdc compression the dots on a 4.0 will both be at 11 o'clock as he is experiencing. Bring it around to where the dots align and #6 will be tdc compression.

Back