• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CPS or no CPS?

JeepNovice

NAXJA Forum User
About a week ago my speedometer was acting funky, it was very cold that night so i figured it was due to this. Then I got a CEL p1698 which has to do with TCM, that same day CEL vanished. Two days later I took Jeep on our first long trip, about 100 mile trip. Everything was fine when we got home, but when I turned it on again CEL was back on a all gauges did not work and I got odometer message 'No Bus.' Pretty familiar with the no bus since I had that issue before, but I had already fixed all my grounds and this time the jeep started and drove, it just appeared lazy. CEL came back with P1698 and P1694 (No bus companion module). So I search online tested to see if gauges would work with CPS disconnected no luck. I let it sit over the weekend turned it on this morning and all gauges work but CEL still on.

Any hints will be helpful, I just bought a cps this am thinking that might be the culprit. :helpme:

When there is both P1694, and P1698, suspect a CPS issue. You can test/diagnose each code separately, but the most common cause for both to appear is a faulty CPS or CPS wire harness issues.

When the CPS short circuits, the engine computer (PCM) shuts down to prevent damage to itself. As a result, there is no communication (P1694).
Disconnect your crankshaft position sensor then put the ignition key in the on position. If the instrument cluster voltage and fuel gauges start to work once the CPS is disconnected, then you know the CPS or CPS wires are shorted and is the root cause of the codes. You can verify this by testing the CPS and checking continuity and voltage on the CPS wires.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63167
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_code_p1694_mean_for_a_2000_Jeep_Cherokee

P1694 Fault In Companion Module. No CCD/J1850 bus messages received at the power train control module (PCM) from the AisinWarner Transmission Control Module (TCM).

P1694 will set if no CCd bus messages are received from PCM for 20 seconds or invalid messages are received for 20 seconds.

Possible Causes
-CCD Bus (-) circuit open between PCM and TCM.
-CCD Bus (+) circuit open between PCM and TCM.
-Transmission CCD bus wiring damaged.
-Faulty TCM

P1698 No CCD Messages Received From PCM. Bus communication failure to PCM. A "Companion DTC" was set in both the ECM and PCM.
Possible Causes:
- Faulty Engine control Module (ECM)
- Engine control Module(ECM) harness is open or shorted
- Engine control Module (ECM) circuit poor electrical connection

P1694 Diagnostic Procedure
1. Using scan tool, clear TCM DTCs. Start engine and let idle for at least 2 minutes. Using scan tool, retrieve TCM DTCs. If DTC P1694 returns, go to next step. If DTC P1694 does not return, go to step 5.

2. Check instrument cluster gauges for proper operation. If fuel gauge and speedometer operate properly, go to next step. If fuel gauge and speedometer do not operate properly, see appropriate INSTRUMENT PANELS article.

3. Turn ignition off. Disconnect Gray PCM harness connector. PCM is located at left front of engine compartment. Disconnect TCM harness connector. Measure resistance of CCD BUS (-) circuit (White/Black wire) between TCM harness connector and Gray PCM harness connector. If resistance is more than 5 ohms, repair open in CCd BUS (-) circuit (White/Black wire). If resistance is 5 ohms or less, go to next step.

4. Measure resistance of CCD BUS (+) circuit (Violet/Brown wire) between TCM harness connector and Gray PCM harness connector. If resistance is more than 5 ohms, repair open in CCd BUS (+) circuit (Violet/Brown wire). If resistance is 5 ohms or less, replace TCM.

5. Conditions necessary to set DTC P1694 are currently not present. Inspect related wiring and harness connectors. See WIRING DIAGRAMS. Repair as necessary. If no problem is found, check for broken, bent, backed-out or corroded terminal pins. Check for chafed, pierced or partially broken wires inside insulation. Repair as necessary.

I ended up just cleaning up gauges connector, it appeared someone had been there before, I noted no corrosion/oxidation or damaged wires. So i just cleaned them. started jeep the gauges were none responsive for about 5 minutes and they were all back on. CEL still on.

So I just cleaned up all computer harness check all fuses found cooling fan fuse blown so put new one in. Cleaned connection and tested cps. It all appeared good just that now jeep won't start! When I turn ignition on cooling fan relay starts buzzing. No bus comes back and cel. Now where are the grounds to cooling fan relay?

So I just cleaned up all computer harness check all fuses found cooling fan fuse blown so put new one in. Cleaned connection and tested cps. It all appeared good just that now jeep won't start! When I turn ignition on cooling fan relay starts buzzing. No bus comes back and cel. Now where are the grounds to cooling fan relay?

That sounds like my issue. Check link I posted above^^ let me know how u fix it

Mine

Last edited:
My relay box is different than yours. My buddy said to disconnect boiling fan I'm not sure where that is

I'm assuming he means the aux fan or ac fan. That won't do anything though. It thinks the jeep is running so it turns the fan on to keep it from overheating. Only reason it's on is cause the computer is confused so it is like a safety

I'm assuming he means the aux fan or ac fan. That won't do anything though. It thinks the jeep is running so it turns the fan on to keep it from overheating. Only reason it's on is cause the computer is confused so it is like a safety

Double checked which relay was buzzing and it's asd relay. I just did ground for it this summer I guess I ll get my hands scraped again tomorrow. But before it would click now it's buzzing. I don't know if that makes a difference.

Double checked which relay was buzzing and it's asd relay. I just did ground for it this summer I guess I ll get my hands scraped again tomorrow. But before it would click now it's buzzing. I don't know if that makes a difference.

My asd is also making the noise. I have cleaned the grounds unless I somehow missed the asd relay ground. Where does it ground too? Mine also buzzes and clicks.

Mine still not working even put new grounding cables cleaned all terminals. No luck. Let me know what you get with short finder. We got a snow storm tomorrow not sure how I ll make it to work.

I think I ve might have found the issue. The wire harness connecting o2 sensor one of wires was exposed. Do I just cut it and crimp it?

Back