• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My plans for "when" I get a xj……

ILoveJeeps

NAXJA Forum User
Don't have one yet, but I figure i could post my plans and you all could tell me if I need to change something.
Year/model I want is a 91-95 maybe 96, but I heard 96 was different for some reason. Is it because it's the first year of obd2 and their different from the 97 obd2? Anyways any of these years is what I want. It's got to be white with tan interior.

Plans:

-Engine,transmission and transfer case rebuild if it needs it
-s10 leaf pack with xj leaf pack combined. zj coils with height adjusters but I don't know theirs any other coils that can be at even height with the s10 pack and xj pack combined. Can you help me with this too? This is just to get a decent amount of height till I get a lift kit. I was told to start off small. (Rubicon express,skyjacker or rough country) 7.5" lift with ajustable long arms, ethier of those three.
(Everything after this point is after the lift kit)
- Detroit rear locker maybe front locker
-heavy duty Jks adjustable trac bar
-Jks quick disconnects sway bar end links
-Currie enterprises tierod
- Tom woods drive shaft. If theirs a better one let me know.
-Slip yolk eliminator
-limit straps
-K&N air intake
-Banks header. I watch a video this guy said he had one on his yj and it cracked on every single weld. Is this true?
-Banks exhaust or flow master exhaust
-rock sliders
-jcr bumpers and rear qaurter panel
-diff guard
-hella lights
-any roof rack brand suggestions? I was thinking Yakima.
It will be a daily driver and weekend warrior. I'm 16 so if I'm talking over my head let me know.

My plans for "when" I get a xj……

. I was told to start off small.
7.5" lift with ajustable long arms, ethier of those three..

.... Yup that's starting off small lol go big or go home right? Lol do a budget boost first and just get to know your ride first. You need to do a lot more reading and understanding. You got shi* and banned because you went gun ho with no thinking or reading. Just slow it down. Start stock or a budget lift(1"-2")

I was going to do s10 pack leaf with xj pack and maybe f150 coils, but I'll look into the budget boost. It would be best do if I did it your way. Budget boost would be more practical I guess because a junkyard lift seems like the easy and fast way. I wanna do it right not and rush,take the easy way or cheap way.

Last edited:
hey I know it's easy to get caught up in daydreams and dumb fantasies
but what you need to do is just get a jeep and put hands on it. looks like you're ready to spend money in all the wrong places because you read a bunch of stuff on the internet
stop posting and get to work

hey I know it's easy to get caught up in daydreams and dumb fantasies
but what you need to do is just get a jeep and put hands on it. looks like you're ready to spend money in all the wrong places because you read a bunch of stuff on the internet
stop posting and get to work

Well said!

But really Ilovejeeps, dont day dream about something you dont already have. Its one thing to want something when your about to get it. But wheel it first before thinking about all the aftermarket things you can do to it. Being 16 years old you better pay more attention to your education and stop day dreaming about S10 leaf packs, AND 7.5" LIFT IS NOT STARTING OFF SMALL!:twak: Get into a school shop class, learn how to weld, and how to fabricate. Because once you can fabricate, you wont want all the parts your talking about because you can fabricate them yourself.

I do understand what your going through I have a 15 year old son that is doing the same thing about a damn JK when he cant even drive yet, let alone has a damn job.

Just step back and focus on whats right in front of you. Then when it comes time to do things to a rig you have, READ, search the forums, and Read some more. Because if you are thinking about it, search and youll see its already been done and theres probley pictures of someone doing it.

Well said!

But really Ilovejeeps, dont day dream about something you dont already have. Its one thing to want something when your about to get it. But wheel it first before thinking about all the aftermarket things you can do to it. Being 16 years old you better pay more attention to your education and stop day dreaming about S10 leaf packs, AND 7.5" LIFT IS NOT STARTING OFF SMALL!:twak: Get into a school shop class, learn how to weld, and how to fabricate. Because once you can fabricate, you wont want all the parts your talking about because you can fabricate them yourself.

I do understand what your going through I have a 15 year old son that is doing the same thing about a damn JK when he cant even drive yet, let alone has a damn job.

Just step back and focus on whats right in front of you. Then when it comes time to do things to a rig you have, READ, search the forums, and Read some more. Because if you are thinking about it, search and youll see its already been done and theres probley pictures of someone doing it.

whats sad about this is a lot of schools no longer have a shop class. so im not sure if he'll even have the chance to learn to fabricate unless he goes to a trade school.

FYI--a question was recently asked, "Is it against the rules to make a new account?"--Yes, it is.

You can request a name change on your account, but multiple accounts for an individual are not allowed.

When i bought my xj just added a snorkel.it already had mt tires and 1.5" spacers. Lot of mud, water and sand (no rock crawling). In my third trail i was thinking all the mods i needed (engine, r&p, lockers, bigger tires) because i couldn't with a dune. It was about 15 minutes of dreaming until a guy with more experience told me how to attack it. After that i have spent more time trying to learn how to drive off-road and what the xj can and can not do.

In the meantime I read several times the Eric's book, the forums, etc.

I'm still a newbie but there are some things I think could be useful to you:

Before any change get knowledge of the xj capabilities and limitations.
Build it according your needs. How much to lift will depend the use and terrain
Pay attention to axles, specially the rears (the curse of the xj)
Try to go to some club and ask if somebody can take you in some trial. You are under 18: Can't buy beers but can clean the rig after :)

Back