• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 contact pattern help!!!

AJ's01XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone im basicly new to this forum ( made a profile years ago but never used it). Im not sure if this is where I post my problem or now or really how to even use this site. So please dont go crazy on me if i do something wrong. Anyways i have a Dana 30 Hp out of 98 cherokee. im in the middle of setting up the 4.88's. I have pulled and checked everything about 10 time or so and every time I adjust things into tolerance it doesnt look like anything ever changes. I have gone from stock (no depth shims) to .036" plus slinger of.021". i also have had backlash from .005"-.010". And everytime the coast side never really changes, and the drive side never leaves the edge of the face. im completely stumped. Any help at all would be much appriciated. Thank you. oh and right now i have the .021" slinger, .010" pinion depth shim, and backlash is at .009". I have tried to load pictures but i dont know how to. sorry.

Photobucket for pics

Backlash is important, but it is a result of the other adjustments.

Set your pinion depth so pattern is in middle. Be sure your preload is good.

Add of subtract shims under the carrier bearings for depth (engagement) and carrier preload.

There is a FAQ in the Tech section on how to post pic on the NAXJA Forum.

-Ron

driveside_zps7abe81f7.jpg.html
driveside_zps7abe81f7.jpg.html

Thank you for your help guys. I am trying pictures now not sure if it will work but ill try it. And as for the Faq page i have searched the net with lots of info on everything and how to do it but i have not seen a pattern like mine yet.

I think the pinion needs to go much deeper. Can you add .020 more shim? Are the bearings and their races pressed all the way in?

The new iner pinion bearing is pressed on but the race is a "set up" race that fits snug and goes all the way in. i have had shims in there that add up to .036" currently i have .010" so if i added .020" i would be at .030" and that still doesnt change much of anything. I took so many picks im not sure whats what so i will have to go up to the .030" and take another set of picks. basicly every time i do anything the only side that ever changes is the drive side and that only goes from toe to heel. it has never come away from the flank. and coast never changes. im stumped.

Well I suggest add more than .036 shim, it looks very shallow to me. I've never made a set up race, but I don't see how that could be causing your problem

OK I will add more then the .036" and try again. Next question is should the pinion go past the toe of the ring fear when installed? When I had .036" in there it started to push the pinion past the toe of ring gear. This is my first being and gear set up so its all new to me. So would trying a small amount like .040" be next or should I go more just to see if it helps like going to .045-050?

Don't worry too much about the toe to heel orientation, right now the pattern is only touching the top land of the tooth, you want the pattern to move deeper onto the face of the gear. It's hard to say how much to add, if I had a pic of what it looked like at .036 shim that would help.

Ok thank you so much. i will shim it up tomorrow to .036" and take pics and post them tomorrow. i did more research and found someone that said for the dana 30 a good starting point is .035". but i wont get ahead of myself and i will follow your advice and see where it gets me. I just keep getting the same results everytime and its been a few weeks. i know it takes time but nothing is changing just going in circles. i will post up more pics tomorrow afternoon.

As noted, you want to go deeper with the pinion. That means that you need to add shims to the bearing which is pressed on, or under it's race, whichever way it works on your axle.

Adding shims to the other side simply affects bearing preload and nothing else.

-Ron

036shimcoast_zps8b2a72be.jpg
.036 shim coast. bl is .007-.009
036shimdriveside_zpscced9080.jpg
drive. i left BL on the high end vs. .006 is what i had last time. Any thoughts? am i going in the right direction?

And dont mind the pieces of wood every where i used a piece of wood for resistence and blew it out afterwards and of coarse stuck everywhere. :/

I may have missed it, but what brand gears are those ? Are they new? The last photo ,if you can get the pattern a bit more toward the outside...it'll be ok. Your preload is adequate?

Truckedup i have brand new motive gears (from what i have read after buying them there not the best of gear brand) as for preload i originaly started out with the preload at 20 in/lbs but then read that you dont need to set preload yet. is that true? i have just been setting no preload and torqing pinion nut to 50lbs everytime. if thats wrong let me know. also i have seen preload specs for new and old bearing, but what do you do when you have a new inner pinion bearing and and old "set up" outer bearing? what specs should i use for setting up with a mix of new and old bearings? and Digger87xj are you talking about all shims and slingers? if so i am at right now .080" and that is the large diameter slinger that sites right at the pinion head, the shims and the baffle behind the bearing race. I could be doing this all wrong, i have just been doing what most people have aggred on in different forums. so as it stands now... no preload, .080" total shim/slinger/baffle. So if i am doing this all wrong let me know what i need to be doing. Thanks alot guys

It doesn't matter so much if you're using new and old bearings right now for setting the pinion depth. This is what i do when I'm setting up the pinion for a test run: I don't add any of the preload shims to the pinion. Than I just tighten the nut till I start to feel a little resistance when i turn the pinion, it should not spin super easy though. No need to be very accurate on preload because it's not like there's a lot of stress being applied when you're just turning by hand, and it doesn't affect pinion depth much anyway. Then when it looks good, then I install all the new bearing components and check the pattern again.

To me the pinion depth looks best at .030" shims, at .036" shims it looks too deep. I was wondering what the pattern would look like when you set back lash at .007"-.009"

Back