• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Np231 transfer case grinding noise

njm-73

NAXJA Forum User
So I just sold my 231 with hack and tap sye on it and the guy is having trouble with new vibes and grinding. I never had that problem in my jeep. I did searching and a lot suggests that it is the linkage out of adjustment.
It came out of a 93 with 4.0 aw4 and went into the same year make and model. The only difference is his has a 6"ish lift and mine has a 4.5". He didn't ope it up so I know nothing inside could be the problem. I'm trying my best to help him out and fix the problem so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
And I hope this is okay in the OEM tech board

New vibes could be cuz the drives haft isn't long enough for his extra lift I'd think, or u joints and grinding how? Goin in 4wd, coming out or when in 4th and driving?. Linkage would be a good place to start

not gonna have anything to do with the driveshaft if it's doing it when stopped.

look for causes of a misfire if it "vibrates" when sitting still.
look for a bad motor mount as a possible cause while you're there.

Here is what he says
-I already checked the motor mounts and it runs fine. At a stop the it feels like the case rattles loose but everything is tight. I get vibes and it feels like its from the whole case not the rear and it just sounds like it grinds while I'm driving some times.

Back