• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mystery tapping, front end steering box area

XJsportG

SouthEast #4328 (RVA)
NAXJA Member
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport, Over the past month of so i've developed a odd tapping noise coming from my jeep. It's coming right from where the steering box bolts to the frame, but I have not yet found what it is. I can only hear it at idle, sitting at a stop sign, stoplight, parking space, or standing still. Most prominent in Reverse and Drive. You can hear it in Park and Neutral but not as strong as R & D.

Any help would be awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzW8G8JWzDQ

What it's Not:
Piston Slap
Flex Plate
Cracked Steering Box Spacer
Lose Bolts Steering Box bolts
Fan Shrouds

Check your motor mounts. The whole engine bay is an echo chamber so the sound may not be coming from where you think it is. How is your steering fluid?

I doubt its the spacer since it happens when you are not moving, but it could still be.

With the engine off, can you hear a popping noise as you get in and out of the driver's door. The spot welds between the cross member under the radiator and the drivers side frame rail, directly above where your camera was when you shot the video of the pitman arm, have a tendancy to crack. Also try putting weight on the drivers side front fender and bounding up and down. It is easier if you have someone else bounce the car and you lay underneath. Move a finger along the edge of where the spot welded sheet metal pieces overlap, feeling for movement.

Back