• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

would you run a 16" ORI?

CAJJ93XJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
here's the deal. my buddy is moving to coilovers/trailing arms and wants to sell me two 16" ORI STX struts. he never ran them. $1000/pair
I'm in the middle of putting together my build and planned on using leafs for now. I'd have to link out the rear but wasn't planning on doing this yet. the plan was coilovers maybe next year
so would you run ORI's for cheap now? or 2.5" coilovers later?

build is 1 tons, cage, 37's etc.
use is trail/street. has to handle 6hrs of rock garden (fordyce). only desert near here is moonrocks so maybe only an hour at a time of go-fast

seems like a waste of money if you are just going to 2.5" coilovers in the future...

$1000 isn't "cheap" hell, you could get a set of 2.0 coilovers for not much more.

ORIs don't hold up compared to coilovers in the go-fast stuff.

seems like a waste of money if you are just going to 2.5" coilovers in the future...

$1000 isn't "cheap" hell, you could get a set of 2.0 coilovers for not much more.

If I got ORI's now they would probably be there to stay. I guess the quetion is ORI's now or sentence myself to leaf springs for a year before I upgrade? I hadn't really made the decision between CO/ORI just yet.

I wont be doing go-fast. but I would like to zip around the desert at maybe 40 or 50mph every now and then. for an hour at a time tops, not all day. they are the "new" stx style or whatever they're supposed to be better. but I will be bashing through fordyce trail for 6 hours at a time before stopping

2.0's are out of the question

here's the deal. my buddy is moving to coilovers/trailing arms and wants to sell me two 16" ORI STX struts. he never ran them. $1000/pair
I'm in the middle of putting together my build and planned on using leafs for now. I'd have to link out the rear but wasn't planning on doing this yet. the plan was coilovers maybe next year
so would you run ORI's for cheap now? or 2.5" coilovers later?

build is 1 tons, cage, 37's etc.
use is trail/street. has to handle 6hrs of rock garden (fordyce). only desert near here is moonrocks so maybe only an hour at a time of go-fast

Yes...yes...and yes. I will be running them, though my Jeep is a little "different" than most :D

If you don't want them...I'll take them.

1.) 2.0 coilovers, unless you're 3500 lbs. or sub...is a complete waste of money.
2.) ORI's will perform far better than anything 99.9% of people on this board will need. Unless you're running Ultra 4 or like to play go-fast a LOT, its a moot point.
3.) $1000 is cheap, when you also figure bumpstops and swaybars in. Keep in mind the ORI's have these internally.

If I got ORI's now they would probably be there to stay. I guess the quetion is ORI's now or sentence myself to leaf springs for a year before I upgrade? I hadn't really made the decision between CO/ORI just yet.

I wont be doing go-fast. but I would like to zip around the desert at maybe 40 or 50mph every now and then. for an hour at a time tops, not all day. they are the "new" stx style or whatever they're supposed to be better. but I will be bashing through fordyce trail for 6 hours at a time before stopping

2.0's are out of the question

Then in your case ORI's would be a good choice, though unless you have a bit of body missing...16" will probably be overkill for you.

I'm dead serious...if you don't take them for $1000, I would be glad to since I'll need to send mine back in to be upgraded to STX's.

:thumbup:

Yes...yes...and yes. I will be running them, though my Jeep is a little "different" than most :D

If you don't want them...I'll take them.

Then in your case ORI's would be a good choice, though unless you have a bit of body missing...16" will probably be overkill for you.

I'm dead serious...if you don't take them for $1000, I would be glad to since I'll need to send mine back in to be upgraded to STX's.

:thumbup:

ha. well you're doing a bad job of getting these to your front door because now you're making me want to run them :D

I was concerned about the length. I was only planning on a 14". so if I get these I will lop off the entire rear, make new raised rear frame rails, then do a full bodied bob. pretty much copying 8lugxj's green ultra4 cherokee.

he's actually asking 1100 but I'm sure he'll take 1000 (for me). but I will definitely have him contact you if I pass them up

ha. well you're doing a bad job of getting these to your front door because now you're making me want to run them :D

I was concerned about the length. I was only planning on a 14". so if I get these I will lop off the entire rear, make new raised rear frame rails, then do a full bodied bob. pretty much copying 8lugxj's green ultra4 cherokee.

he's actually asking 1100 but I'm sure he'll take 1000 (for me). but I will definitely have him contact you if I pass them up

Now worries, I figured in all reality you'd run them :D

But yeah if you do pass them up I'de be interested, since it would be easier for me to buy those two then send back all 4 :D

I'm gonna pass on his offer. I can't afford to buy them and link out the rear right now. he's posting them up for 1300 I think. he figures they'll still sell at that price because it takes like 3 months to get ORI's otherwise?
on filthymotorsports 2.5" king RR's with dual rate coils costs less than the ORI's. but then I gotta worry about sways and bumps.. we'll see

anyway thanks for the input

Back