• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusted part around my axle

GravityKitty

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone! I recently got my first Jeep, a 1995 XJ, earlier last month. While I was getting my front hub and bearings replaced, my boyfriend noticed that there was a rusted area where the spring attaches to the axle.

2elysfa.jpg

This makes an awful noise if I take a left turn a little too hard. I was wondering what I should do about this. Does this require a full axle replacement, or would I be able to just replace the housing?

My XJ has a 4.0 engine, it's automatic, and it's 4WD. Also, everything seems to be stock. I apologize for not being able to tell you what axle I have in the front, but I would assume it's a Dana 30. I don't know much about Jeeps (or cars for that matter) yet, but I'm willing to learn and appreciate any help that you guys can offer! I can also take more pictures later, if needed. Thanks!

Last edited:
that's the strike pad for the bumpstop. the rubber piece hits that pad when you go over big bumps to slowdown and stop the axle from running into the bottom of the engine.

it's replaceable but it would be a lot of work and require welding new spring perches onto the axle - not really worth the effort when you can swap the whole front axle out in a couple of hours for a new one.

4.0/4x4/auto would make your gear ratio most likely 3.55 and any axle from a 91-97 should work. I believe they went to a low pinion axle in 98 or 99.

good luck and welcome to NAXJA. :wave1:

Low pinion from D30 axles were introduced on the 2000 model XJ....

Before that, they are high pinion...

well there you go then any 91-99 axle should be just fine. before that they had a vacuum disconnect setup that is pretty problematic so i'd avoid an axle from before 91.

Alright, thanks for your help! I have a few more follow up questions. Since I'm going to end up doing an axle swap, would it be possible to take out all the gears and insides from my old axle and just swap them into a new shell? Or would this require shimming and cause complications? Would it just be cheaper to buy a new shell instead of an old complete axle?

Last edited:
It just doesn't seem like that should make noise??? The bump stop shouldn't hit often, and cornering certainly shouldn't do it. Does any one else think that the picture shows very little available travel left in the suspension? Are those springs sacked out?

No. You can't simply pull the gears out and put them in another axle. You also aren't going to buy an axle shell.

You buy a whole complete axle out of an XJ and swap the whole thing in. Shouldn't be more than three hundred or so. (Even that's kind of high.)0

My XJ has a 4.0 engine, it's automatic, and it's 4WD.
That is the most common drive train combination for XJs. If it is truly stock, replacing the assembly is easier/cheaper than anything else...unless your BF happens to be a welder.

BTW, GREAT first post! :)

early 91 still had the crappy disconnect, so 91.5-99 would be best. Just make sure it's from a 4.0 and an automatic.
If you're swapping in the entire axle, be aware that mid 1999 axles used different unit bearings and brakes, so you won't be able to use yours as spares. not relevant if you're only swapping in the housing though.

It just doesn't seem like that should make noise??? The bump stop shouldn't hit often, and cornering certainly shouldn't do it. Does any one else think that the picture shows very little available travel left in the suspension? Are those springs sacked out?

x2. Looks like there isn't much travel.

Back