• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ax15 swap starter issue

hendo92

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm doing a ax15 swap into my 87, got everything bolted up and now when I start it the starter seems to stay engaged with the flywheel. It made a horrible grinding sounds. I took the old starter to the parts store to get it tested and it was sluggish. Before I bought the new starter I had them test it just to be sure it worked. Installed the new starter and the grinding definitely isn't as bad put it still sounds like it is spinning on the flywheel once it is started. Any suggestions? I was told to maybe try shimming the starter away from the tranny some. Thanks in advance

Did you use the ax15 trans plate or te auto? The aluminum plate between the block and trans is a spacer and can cause starter issues... IIRC the ax15 dust shield is specific to the manual trans

^^^X2 on that. This is the plate in question:

Jeff

Last edited:
Original tranny was the 5 speed peugot, I just used that dust shield. Does the ax15 have a different one? I also used the peugot starter bolts. The starter bolts up tight and feels snug though

Original tranny was the 5 speed peugot, I just used that dust shield. Does the ax15 have a different one? I also used the peugot starter bolts. The starter bolts up tight and feels snug though

When in doubt just assume parts don't cross over. When I had te donor jeep I just swapped EVERYTHING over and didn't leave room for mistakes. there are a lot more subtle differences between the two transmissions than I first assumed

I wasn't lucky enough to have a donor jeep, my old tranny took a dump on me so I figured it was a good time for a ax15 swap. Is there suppose to be any sort of spacer between the starter and tranny or does it just bolt to it?

I wasn't lucky enough to have a donor jeep, my old tranny took a dump on me so I figured it was a good time for a ax15 swap. Is there suppose to be any sort of spacer between the starter and tranny or does it just bolt to it?

the dust shield is the spacer....you can pick one up for cheap on rockauto

Back