• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fluids

creedua

NAXJA Forum User
Since I just picked up my Cherokee Im gonna change all the fluids. What should I use in the diffs and transfer case?

Dex3

In the Transfer Case: Dexron/Merc III compatible fluid just like the transmission

In the diffs: any 75w90 gear oil front and rear. If you tow a lot use 75w140 in the rear, and if your rear axle has a limited slip, use the limited slip modifier additive with the fluid.

I personally use Autozone (Coastal) Dex/Merc in the trans and T-case, and Redline synthetic 75w90 in the differentials. If you wheel where the axles will be submerged, you will want to change the gear oil more frequently, so synthetics may not be worth the money.

Cherokee Fluid Capacities

Engine Oil

-2.5L (4cyl) - 4.0 Quarts (3.8L)
-4.0L (6cyl) - 6.0 Quarts (5.7L)

Cooling System

-2.5L (4cyl) - 9.0 Quarts (8.5L)
-4.0L (6cyl) - 10.5 Quarts (9.9L)

Automatic Transmission

-4.0L (6cyl) The AW-4 Automatic Transmission uses Transmission Fluid labeled Dexron-III/Mercon.

- Drain and Re-fill = 4 Quarts (3.8L)
- Filter and complete fluid exchange = 8 Quarts (7.8 L)

-2.5L (4cyl) Chrysler/Mopar Automatic Transmissions use ATF+3 or ATF+4 Type 7176

Manual Transmission

Chrysler now recommends that 10w-30 motor oil be used in Cherokee manual transmissions

-AX-5 5 speed manual - 3.3 quarts 75W-90 GL3 or GL4 (NOT GL5 or GL5 compatible as incorrectly stated in some Owners Manuals)
-AX-15 5 speed manual - 3.32 quarts 75W-90 GL3 or GL4 (NOT GL5 or GL5 compatible as incorrectly stated in some Owners Manuals)
-NV3550 5 speed manual - 2.1 quarts Mopar fluid part # 04874464AA or Snychromax (meets Mopar MS-9224 specs)

The NLGI specs are important - typical NLGI GL-5 gear oil carries added sulphur used as an Extreme Pressure (EP) lubricant. Especially when heated, sulphur is antagonistic to yellow (copper-based) metals - and the synchronizer rings and any bushings in the AX-15 are bronze. Most synthetic gear oils are rated GL-5 and are listed as "safe for use with yellow metals."

Unlike API specs (to API Service SL/CJ-4,) NLGI Service specifications are not reverse-compatible. Well-stocked parts houses should have both NLGI GL-3 and NLGI GL-4 mineral-based gear oil in stock or available for order.

If you want to use a synthetic (RedLine, AmsOil, etc.) either check the back of the bottle or check the manufacturer's website to make sure it's safe for use with yellow metal - using sulphur-bearing gear oils usually results in draining your synchronizer rings at your next fluid change.

Transfer Case

-NV231 Part-Time (Command-Trac) - 2.2 Pints (1.0L) Dexron III/Mercon

-NV242 Full-Time (Selec-Trac) – 2.85 Pints (1.3L) Dexron III/Mercon

Front Axle

-Dana 30 - 2.5 Pts (1.2L) SAE 75W-90

Rear Axle

-When equipped, Trac-Lok Limited Slip rear axles require 4 ounces of Friction Modifier Additive

-Dana 35 - 3.5 Pints (1.66L) SAE 75W-90
-Dana 44 - 4.0 Pints (1.89L) SAE 75W-90
-Chrysler 8.25 - 4.4 Pints (2.0L) SAE 75W-90

For towing and off-road use SAE 75-140 synthetic

"All fluids" should include brake fluid and power steering fluid. ATF works fine for power steering.

No, no, no!!! Do NOT use ATF in the power steering system. I put a new pump on my 97, new hoses, filled it with ATF and it whined like a bitch within 15 minutes. Flushed it two or three times with power steering fluid and it quieted down. I was very wrong on this, the pump is not all that expensive but it's a pain to swap.

No, no, no!!! Do NOT use ATF in the power steering system. I put a new pump on my 97, new hoses, filled it with ATF and it whined like a bitch within 15 minutes. Flushed it two or three times with power steering fluid and it quieted down. I was very wrong on this, the pump is not all that expensive but it's a pain to swap.

Always used ATF in mine. Many cars now specify ATF.

ATF is very similar to PS fluid. I just went through researching this when I replaced the lines on my land cruiser... The previous owner used power steering fluid but Toyota says to use ATF.

The biggest difference apparently is that ATF has more detergents in it.

I flushed the power steering on my landcruiser with synthetic ATF and I plan to do the same to my jeep this weekend.

I use Mobil 1 in my ZJ with a Mopar filter. Pretty good stuff. On the tranny, you may want to toss in a new Mopar tranny gasket and Mopar pan seal. their pan seals are made well.

I use Mobil 1 in my ZJ with a Mopar filter. Pretty good stuff. On the tranny, you may want to toss in a new Mopar tranny gasket and Mopar pan seal. their pan seals are made well.

Jeep doesn't have a gasket for the AW4, just a Mopar RTV which works really well. If it was a ZJ, the Mopar gasket would be the way to go. He also has a manual transmission, so no pan.

I trust Chrysler's advice to use 10W30 in an Aisin manual transmission as much as I trust their advice to use ATF+4 in an Aisin automatic transmission. Chrysler never said that either fluid was ever best, a remotely good idea, or even compatible with either transmission. They just stopped carrying old fluids for products that were no longer covered under any warranty: All the TSBs do is specify a new part number. Remember, Chrysler didn't make any of this stuff, and has no obligation to support it.

Redline MT-90 is the best stuff you can pour into an AX-15. Found it on the shelf at my local NAPA. Ask anybody who's used it, drives much better than anything else. If you can't find it, any synchronized transmission-specific lube will work. Do NOT use API GL-5 gear oil, it is designed for hypoid gears only and will destroy what's left of your synchros.

As for other fluids, you can use any ATF or even 5w30 synthetic in your transfer case.

Diffs and powah steering have been covered already, engine oil has been written many times about already.

Back