• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'01 front axle: DSide=Ujoint. PSide=CVjoint??

ssnsltd

NAXJA Forum User
hello,

ive searched like heck on this and a few other jeep site but came up empty. my apologies if this has been asked and answered.

RE: 2001 jeep cherokee sport 4x4 auto.

Issue: my front (Dana30) axle has a UJoint type Axle on the drivers side, and a CV (whatever it is it has a rubber boot) on the passenger side. the CV boot on the passenger axle is starting to leek grease. id like to rebuild it but dont know what it is.

is this right? ive worked only with an 88 and 89 up to now, so i dont know what is supposed to be on it- though what ive found so far tells me both should be U-joint.

could someone have swapped in an older axle?

last question- i see axles listed with and W/O Disconnect, how does one tell what axle to get? is there something on the axle to look for?

thanks
david

thanks for the quick responses!

they are pretty much the same Dana30 yah? or is it rally not a good idea to do that?

and thanks for the answer on the disconnect as well. for some reason its 1/2 the cost for w/o disconnect

Someone put a passenger side axle from a MJ (grand cherokee) in it.

Just FYI... an MJ is a Comanche, which is the pickup version of the Cherokee... Grand Cherokees are either WJ or ZJ, depending on year of manufacture... if you have vacuum lines going to an apparatus on the long -side axle tube, you have a vacuum -disconnected axle ...if no vacuum lines, it's a non-disconnect axle... either way someone has replaced original axle shaft with a CV style shaft from a Grand.. yours is supposed to be u-joint style... go to a wrecking yard and pick up the right style... pull old one to make sure length and splines match... to be safe, get one from same year as yours ... and get one from a Cherokee (XJ), not a Grand!!

The reason for the price difference is the disco type axle shaft is actually a two piece shaft... a collar slides over the axle shaft stubs, connecting the two together, actuated by a shift fork/motor by vacuum when shifted into 4WD.... these are usually pretty weak and a lot of guys do away with the whole system.. do a search for eliminating disconnect axle...

Last edited:
Back