• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wider opening rear doors

Gojeep

NAXJA Forum User
Been a long time since posting an update on my XJ but thought I would write up a mod I did a couple of years ago on getting the rear doors to open wider so it is easier to get in and out etc.

RearDoor1.jpg

Before
RearDoor2.jpg

After.
The cord was only used for the shot until a longer check strap was made. ;)

Opens nearly 200mm/8" wider than stock now.

Details here. http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoRearDoor.htm

Wow.....great to see you still in the scene mate. Awesome looking mod too. I find that it's easiest to get into the back when there's no door at all. :)

Thanks for the replies guys. The XJ is still our one and only driver and doing great even after all these years. I do update the site and have added a line near the top which says the last update and on what date it was.
Last few years though it has been mainly about the Willys Truck that I am building with the 2008 Hemi Grand Cherokee donor. :)
http://go.jeep-xj.info/WillysHotrod1.htm

Super cool mod! I plan on doing this in the future

Thanks for the replies guys. The XJ is still our one and only driver and doing great even after all these years. I do update the site and have added a line near the top which says the last update and on what date it was.
Last few years though it has been mainly about the Willys Truck that I am building with the 2008 Hemi Grand Cherokee donor. :)
http://go.jeep-xj.info/WillysHotrod1.htm

I'm in awe of your detailed work after reading through your hot rod build. It's inspiring me with an FC170 build I'm starting, using a low-mileage '99 XJ 4.0/AW4/NP-231, and an F350 Cab & Chassis frame & dually rear axle. Should be fun!

Craig

Nice work sir. With my hybrid cage this would help considerably if I could make it work with manual windows.

Great mod, Marcus. Glad to know you're still around!

Love the Willy's build too, I've always been fond of this rig and your work is amazing as always.

Last edited:
Nice, so in theory, door checks can just be removed?

Nice, so in theory, door checks can just be removed?

You can just pull the pin and push the door check inwards by closing the door. But it wont let you open the door further until you grind the fingers in the hinge like I show. I ran for a few weeks without any door checks but had to hold the door open if on a slope. Using a bungy cord hooked on to the front door handle works too. ;)

Glad others are liking my new build too. :)

Nice work sir. With my hybrid cage this would help considerably if I could make it work with manual windows.

I am just guessing that is the only reason the factory didn't do it from the start? May not even be a problem for you.

Gotta say, Marcus, I've been following your site & referencing it as a guidebook of sorts since 2007. Thanks for the work, and glad to see an update there!

I am just guessing that is the only reason the factory didn't do it from the start? May not even be a problem for you.
Could be a difference between 97+ and the older ones.
Gotta say, Marcus, I've been following your site & referencing it as a guidebook of sorts since 2007. Thanks for the work, and glad to see an update there!
I've also followed his site since about then. Great knowledge base!

Back