• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Rubicon Express 3.5" leafs vs Bastard Pack

dfjeepster

NAXJA Forum User
I want to get rid of my AAL and swap to either the RE 3.5" leaf springs or make up a bastard pack for the rear. I found the RE springs new for pretty cheap $230/pr but have heard the quality has dropped off. Anyone purchased them recently and if so how have they been? Ride and flex nice or rough? How much height did you get? Any settling? Or should I just hold out till I come across a pair of Dakota or S10 springs and make up my own packs. The only problem with the bastard packs is it'll be a while before I can get to the u pull it yard in PA and the local yards want almost as much for used springs as the new REs cost.

I've had my RE 3.5" leafs for about 4 years and they're pretty much beat. I only drive it about 5000 miles a year, and wheel once or twice a month. They were initially probably close to 6" but settled to around 4.5" or so, until recently. They did ride pretty nice after they settled in, and didn't flex too bad. I didn't have good luck with the bushings, they wore out pretty quickly.

I won't get RE leaf springs again, I'll either go with a new 4.5" spring pack, or build a bastard pack.

Well I picked up a set of almost new S10 springs for pretty cheap this morning and it was up to 40 degrees so I pulled the AAL and swapped in some of the S10 leaves. The ride is much nicer and the creaking is gone but I lost an inch of height so I think I'll toss in one more leaf and see where that puts me. Besides the cost savings I like that I can adjust my height and I didn't have to try to remove the front bolt on the leaf springs cause I know mine will be frozen and require cutting, etc... If they only last 6 months to a year then I will go ahead and order the RE packs.

Back