• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stripped out brake caliber bolt

levi11

NAXJA Forum User
My 2000 cherokee has a stripped out brake caliber bolt. I have been driving it and the bolt has not backed out. What can I do to fix this?

As suggested, buy a Heli-Coil thread repair kit.

Pretty common repair. There are some 4-5 odd threads in the knuckle. If you exceed the torque spec on the bolt, you will strip out the threads every time.

Once you've repaired it, the spec I use is "Snug". Hand on the wrench should be as close to the bolt as possible so you don't have any leverage, then snug the bolt.

The bolts don't do anything but secure one side of the caliper to the knuckle and properly locate it on the assembly. They see no braking forces, those are absorbed directly by the knuckle though the brackets on the pads.

-Ron

11 ft lbs is spec for those.
I drove for, I'm guessing, months with one bolt missing on the right side knuckle. I wouldn't recommend it but I didn't know it was gone. Heli-Coil'ed it and never had a problem with it. Just make sure you get the drill & tap straight.

Back