• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift Problems!

LilGreenToy

NAXJA Forum User
So Im new to the fourm and to Xjs, I have a 95 4 door that Im tryin to install a 4.5 lift on. I have the LCAs and UCAs installed with the springs and shocks. The problem that Im having is I can not get the trackbar to line up, it appears that the axle is pushed back towards the rear about an 1 inch. Wasnt sure if anyone else has ever had this problem. The LCA is set a 16.5 in and the UCA is 15.5 like others are set, so Im open to any suggestions. Also the jeep is on a lift, so wasnt sure if this could be the problem, meaning if i lower it down until the weight of the jeep is sitting on the axle that is might push the axle out to where is lines up?

Thanks!

So to add a bit to the answer...

Since the Jeep is on a lift, the suspension is in droop.
This suspension design travels though an arc with the center of the arc being at ride height (With a stock suspension, or one with drop brackets). If a basic spring lift, the point on the arc simply moves with the ride height.

As the suspension moves though the arc, the axle moves towards the center of the vehicle. That's why your axle appears to have moved 1" towards the rear. In droop, you will see this.

Remember, do not torque your suspension bushings on the lift. All suspension bushings need to be torqued to spec at "Ride height" on the ground, not on a jack or lift.

As mentioned, the Trackbar needs to be attached on the ground at resting height. You will need to use the steering wheel to find the center, then adjust the trackbar accordingly. I usually just rock the wheel back and forth and let the vehicle find it's natural center. Most of the time this works.

-Ron

Thanks for all the help! NOthing is fully tighted down, just hand tight so parts dont fall off, but i should expect these problems with building my first jeep.

Back