• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel cell/ pump for Wounded Warrior build?

Tizzyusmc

NAXJA Forum User
Wondering what fuel cell and pump I should go with on our buggy.

I think 12-16 gallon, but am not familiar with I should go with just a metal one or the hardened red plastic ones? Thoughts? Brands/types?

Also researched the stock fuel pump on the 4.0 says 22psi is tuning pressure.
It appears it if i go inline after market it needs to be 20-40 psi. Is that correct?
I'm only finding 40 psi and above, could this cause me problems since its not at 22psi like the stock fuel pump?

What brand/model would you recommend us using?

Thanks in advance

What year 4.0 are you working with? The older styles have a fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail (both send and return lines required) while the newer units have a returnless style setup with the fuel pressure regulator in the fuel pump assembly in the tank.

I'm not 100% sure on the psi range that you need, but I believe something in the 40 psi+ range is required.

You'll get many opinions on cell brands. I ran an RCI 2161A for about 3 years in my MJ but finally had enough of it cracking and switched to a 32gal JAZ cell (plastic cell inside a steel shell) with walbro pickups and an inline walbro pump. Above and beyond the aluminum cell.

If you can somehow keep the aluminum cells from cracking then they're not bad. I ran a YJ pump assembly in mine and would have kept it if it didn't crack. The YJ pump assembly worked (return style assembly) since I had a '92 4.0 in mine.

1990 xj but we chopped it and I think I threw that regulator away, big round black bubble looking thing? Located on the frame rail? :/
4udume8a.jpg
e9y6ygyt.jpg

Back