• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1996 Cherokee Requiring Full Throttle for Start?

Cessnapilot89

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all, my 1996 Cherokee, 4.0L, 4WD, 5 speed is requiring full throttle to start. Exhaust smells rich. Currently I am getting a code 24 and 25 from counting the check engine light blinks. When disconnecting the TPS, the engine starts and runs without having to press accelerator pedal to the floor. I would assume a new TPS would be required or is there something else I should do?

Pressing the throttle all the way signals the computer to switch off the injectors. You may have a leaky injector that fills a cylinder with fuel causing at least one cylinder to flood.

Before I did anything I would run a can of BG44K through the fuel to clean the injectors. I you can't find that go with a bottle of either Lucas or Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner.

1996 has full OBD-II on-board diagnostics, I suggest you download the Check Engine Light trouble codes and then begin your diagnostics there.

Randomly installing new parts in the hopes you accidentally fix an undiagnosed malfunction isn't very practical.

Well, filled it with chevron and now I can't get the engine to behave like it was last night. Still going to take it in and get the code pulled

Back