• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tcase stuck in 4WD

rquarte

NAXJA Forum User
It appears my transfer case is stuck in 4wd. I can crawl underneath and move the lever fine through all the positions on the tcase by hand but when I go to test drive it in 2hi the jeep goes. (I'm just using the front drive shaft so I know its moving in 4wd) I can shift through all the positions fine with the in cab shifter too. 2hi,4hi,N,4Lo i can feel it shift but in 2Hi its still moving which makes no sense. I'm using a novak shift cable so its not the linkage and the case worked fine a few weeks ago. Now it seems something is internally wrong or the lever is messed up on the outside? Any ideas?

Disconnect the Novak shifter and shift by hand into 2wd. What are the results ? A logical assumption with so little testing/diagnosis is a mis-adjusted shift mechanism or else the T-Case is slow to shift out of 4x4. Slow shifting is not uncommon, and is usually solved by a fluid change and more regular 4x4 usage.

I can move it into all positions by hand without the shift cable installed. with the Tcase shifted into 2hi position by hand it is still in 4wd. I've tried every which way and even drove for a little in wd trying to get the damn thing to budge.

Last edited:
If when shifting the T-Case using the mode lever on the side of the case it does not smoothly shift into, and out of all modes, I would think there are internal issues. It may be as simple as needing new plastic tabs on the mode shift forks. Open it up and see what is going on.

I can shift it fine on the side without any issues or resistance. Is there an adjustment on the lever on the side that could have moved?

I can shift it fine on the side without any issues or resistance. ?

And, does the T-Case actually shift into and out of 2wd and 4x4 with no hesitation ?

Last edited:
And, does the T-Case actually shift into and out of 4x4 with no hesitation ?

Yep by hand and with the in cab shifter i can feel it go into every position no hesitation. With both drive shafts disconnected in the drive way i can put it into all positions.

4Lo both out puts spin at low rpm
N works fine nothing spins
4Hi both spin high rpm
2Hi both spin high rpm

It was working perfectly before I dropped the trans/TC to do my clutch.

Back