• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Help needed!

HeadAche96

NAXJA Forum User
I'm beyond pulling my hair out! Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

Problem: 1996 Cherokee 4wd AW4 4.0 doesn't shift once operating temperature has been reached. From cold start it shifts like a dream until I've gone 4 or 5 miles down the road. The speedometer also hangs and jumps around a bit but I can't see the timing of the two issues happening simultaneously. If I unplug the TCU I can drive it manually with no issues.

What I have done: Tranny rebuild (clutches and such). New solenoids:Old "lock out" solenoid tested bad so I replaced all 3. New TPS. Ran a new ground strap on the transmission. Have checked for codes and found none. Tested the TCU and it was within specs, also picked up another from a junkyard and tried it. Same issue. I am curious as to whether or not the wire going to that particular solenoid could be bad, but would I have to go in to the transmission to check it/replace it? My Neutral Safety has tested bad so I plan on cleaning it soon if not replacing altogether. That's an expensive item as you all know. I have not replaced the speed sensors either. I want to get some advise before I drop cash on more sensors. If I have to do that then I will, but I want to see what some learned folk have to say. It's hard to find anyone local with any knowledge on the AW4 other than a comment "boy they're tough". This isn't my daily driver, but It would be if my job ever changed. It's a great Jeep. Rebuilt engine. 3" Rough Country. It just burns my beans that I can't get this issue resolved.

-Chad

Back