• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

renix maintenance light timer

njxj4x4

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 1988 xj 4.0 with my maintenance light on. i know they are set to a timer to go off at some point in the automobile's life. where is the timer located at and how do i go about dissconnect it or bypass it? also after i take it off will the light go out?

Timer is mounted to the right of the steering column under the dash, which relays a signal to the dash engine maintenance light, and can be simply removed by unplugging it.

Did it just turn on? One thing to look at anyways is to see if the wire coming out of the O2 sending unit has been damaged in anyways.

Once the light has come on, it indicates your O2 sending unit is at the 82,000 mile limit, according to the timer anyways. The timer cannot be reset, so if you want to replace the O2 sending unit, you should also obtain a replacement timer.

The light will go out unplugging the timer unit. It vaguely looks like a "cross", a fat one, few inches squarish, and not too thick, with a electrical connector going to it's corner.

I have no clue as to whether, or not, the two parts are truly in synch. I would not bet on it. Anyway there is good advice on both sides of this issue; (1) you can unplug it, and throw it away, or remove the little bulb, or place a tab of electrical tape, etc., over the little window. Or (2) fix it so all the bells, and whistles work. I think my bulb has long ago burnt out, and should I replace my entire cluster, no way am I going to replace the bulb even should I obtain a replacement O2. I try not to replace anything working, lol. Too cold.., lol.

ok ill take a look. yeah i went to replace my o2 senser today but a few parts stores around me keep giving me the wrong one. my o2 has a flat 3 wire 3 prong connector on it and they keep giving me one that has a square 4 wire 4 prong connector on it.

The timer doesn't communicate with the O2 sensor.
The parts guys are messed up. They're trying to give you an O2 sensor for a 91 and later.

NTK 23553 is the sensor you want.

yeah i made them pull o2 sensor from 86 87 88 89 90 and 91 and they where all the same. it was autozones p/n 20019 i believe and it was a bosch. i went to a advance auto and they had the same part number for the bosch but it was specal order. the picture did show the flat connector on it. NTK 23553 what auto store is this part number for?

the NTK #23553 is available from Advance in most of their local "HUB" locations and also in their overnight delivery program (PDQ)

The Bosch that you wanted is #12009 (as opposed to 20019) not sure who transposed the numbers, but the 12009 has the correct flat 3 wire plug.

i went to autozone and the part number 12009 is the right one in the picture but the senser they have in that box with the same p/n is wrong. part number 12008 is the same as the picture but has a male 3 pin connector, could i just cut that connector off and splice my connector onto it? its getto but iv been to 3 places and no one has the right one for 12009 and non can even pull up the ntk p/n cruiser54 gave me

CQ PN is 75-1515, most of the CQ O2 sensors are Denso.

Maybe try the nearest Jeep dealership parts counter for Part Number: 5600 2460 which is for the 1988--1990 emissions maintenance timer.

i dont care about the timer, i know the signs of a bad o2 senser and im having problems finding the right o2 sencer right now. everywhere i go they have a square 4 wire female connector on it, when i need a flat 3 wire female connector. and the part number i was giving for the ntk (witch i think i means ngk) only place i found that has it is napa but they are closed on sundays so i gotta wait till tomorrow to see if they have it and if it is the right one.

Back