• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door stuck open

2000bluexj

NAXJA Forum User
So my drivers door has been getting stuck open lately. Seems like the part that keeps the door open is sticking or broken. Any fixes other than just removing it? I have gone doorless with these doors as well.

How recent has your weather temperature dropped. I used to have an old ranger that the door locks would freeze up. Little 4way lube or de-icer helped. Just a thought with winter slamming the east coast.

My '98 did that at the grocery store a few years ago, ended up doing some tinkering with my box cutter and getting it to loosen up. Hasn't done it since even though I had been planning on hitting it with a little WD40.

I've had reasonable luck with spray grease (Lithium). Bend the nozzle 45 degrees so you can spray it into the *door check*. It may loosen things up enough to work for awhile longer.

Don't take it out, bite the bullet and buy a new one or head to the junk yard, they are kind of pricey.

If the door opens too wide it can stress the hinges and tear the sheet metal around the hinge. And might even open so wide it dents the fender or door (the sheet metal behind the hinge isn't all that strong).

Mine fell apart, the wife opened the door on a windy day, the door flew open and really farked some stuff up. I had to do some welding to put it all back together again.

So my drivers door has been getting stuck open lately. Seems like the part that keeps the door open is sticking or broken. Any fixes other than just removing it? I have gone doorless with these doors as well.

The mechanism inside is based simply on a connecting rod, a roller pin and a big spring. Typically, the roller pin is the culprit but I have had good luck simply taking the mechanism out and using a vice and a screwdriver to knock the roller pin back into place.

If you choose this route (if i recall correctly) there are 2 nuts at the end of the door that have to be removed as well as the pin that holds the rod to the frame. A couple of good whacks upward on the pin with a hammer will free that up and a 10mm socket (I believe) will get the nuts off. From there it is simple to pull it out from the inside of the door, re-attach the roller pin and reinstall.

HTH
Todd

All fixed now! I shut it one day and heard something fall into the door. It closes fine now! Doesnt stay open by it self and wont open past the end.

Back