• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Napa alternators OK?

Napa and Carquest both have quality parts.

My Napa alternator worked just fine.

You might have to swap your the pulley, though. Be sure to compare the stock pulley diameter, against your replacement one; or your serpinetine belt won't fit. The one I got had a bigger pulley than the one off my stock alternator. Napa store even swapped out the pulley for me, there at the store....

Last edited:
Napa and Carquest both have quality parts.

Agreed, I tend to trust their parts more than the other stores. I've used a lot of Napa parts on my vehicles over the past several years as there's one about half a mile from my house, I haven't had any problems with their parts that I can recall. In my experience most reputable mechanics source their parts from either Napa or Carquest when not choosing an OEM part. Carquest seems to do so much commercial business that they don't even have much of a retail presence in a lot of areas...

Anyway I hope Napa alternators are good since I just finished installing one yesterday. They had a few different options in both reman and new, new ones jump up in price quite a bit, so I chose the "better" reman with a lifetime warranty, which was not much more than the cheaper option.

My options available locally were Napa, Autozone, or an "Ultima" brand reman from O'Reilly. O'Reilly is pretty new in my area and I don't have any experience with their parts yet nor have I head anything about them, Autozone I avoid like the plague, so I hope I made the right choice.

I found some "new" alternators for very appealing prices online, but a couple of the reviews claimed the units people received were clearly remans and not new, and it was unclear if they were being sold with a warranty or not. I decided to pay a little bit more to get one locally, thinking that if I ever need to warranty it, it should be a lot easier to walk into Napa than try to warranty an alternator through the mail (which would probably take weeks, and the return shipping alone would eat up any money saved on the initial purchase anyway).

NAPA is always my first choice for aftermarket parts.

That being said, I always choose the premium part available from NAPA as there are often a number of options with aftermarket.

Always money well spent IMHO.

BBB Industries does alternators for NAPA. They have a pretty good reman/testing program. BBB Industries supports them quite well, and will even allow NAPA to warranty the 3 year warranty ones past the 3 year warranty. Of course, and independent store owner has final say on that.

Yes, I have used the Napa alternator in our 99XJ, no problems.

I've never had problems with either napa or autozone parts... depending on what the part is, I may spring for the more expensive napa version. Either place I always try to get a part with a lifetime warranty... a privilege which I have completely abused at autozone.

I should also mention, while napa offers "lifetime" replacement on some parts, their warranty system is absolutely horrible. You must save your receipt, on the other hand they usually have nice laser printed receipts, not the crap thermal paper you get at autozone. However autozone and a phone number and in many cases they will warranty parts from vehicles you may not own any longer.

I located a small, independent, alternator shop here in the Springs and for about $30 or so more than the cost of the "best" NAPA part, I purchased a brand new 200 Amp unit. The shop even installed a pulley for me.

Just shop around. The good thing about NAPA is that they will stand behind their products.

Thanks for all the feedback. I got the NAPA "power premium plus" I believe. It was around $140.

Installation went OK. I thought I tightened the belt OK, but it looks like there's some "flop" where it goes behind the fan. Please check out the below short video and let me know what you think. Is my belt too loose?

http://youtu.be/zv2GtIhT-AE

O'Reillys starters/alternators are okay as long as you get the lifetime warranty units, I think any of the parts stores' 1 year warranty alternators/starters are garbage. I work at O'Reillys and there are some parts that I will still go to NAPA (thermostats and motor mounts) for. That being said, Ultima starters and alternators are right on par with other brands in my opinion. Usually if there is still an option to buy new, I choose that, I have been at O'Reilly's 3 years and have seen a new starter/alternator come in once for warranty reasons. I just wanted to give you a little info on O'Reilly since you said they're new to your area, NAPA is also a very good parts store.

I have had a NAPA alternator since 2000 without issue. I prefer them. The supplier at the time is different then they are now. This said, the first NAPA alternator failed catastrophically when the pully flew off driving from Florida to Georgia. Often times they switch pullys out so make sure the lock nut is on the pully!

Back