• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need advice on LA or SA custom build

USAF007

NAXJA Forum User
hey all, SO I have a guy somewhat local to me that builds XJ's and everything XJ(bumpers, suspension, etc) and is willing to trade my RECCE build AR for some work on the XJ.

Here is my dilemma. I dont rock crawl, and dont forsee myself starting any time really soon, But i need to decide on short arms or long arms. If i go Short arms, i can get a front bumper built as well, If i go LA, not so much as the LA upgrade is 700+. the lift will be a 4.5" lift, with doestch 8000 shocks. He uses Bastard packs for the rear, not exactly sure what that means?

The guy does awesome work, and I have heard nothing bad about his Fab skills, actually the complete opposite actually.

Im wanting this build to be a expedition style rig, something that can get me into the back woods, and out, and drive me to and from work every day as well.

So. Pay the extra $$ for LA's, and wait on bumpers, or do SA and get bumper(s)?

hey all, SO I have a guy somewhat local to me that builds XJ's and everything XJ(bumpers, suspension, etc) and is willing to trade my RECCE build AR for some work on the XJ.

Here is my dilemma. I dont rock crawl, and dont forsee myself starting any time really soon, But i need to decide on short arms or long arms. If i go Short arms, i can get a front bumper built as well, If i go LA, not so much as the LA upgrade is 700+. the lift will be a 4.5" lift, with doestch 8000 shocks. He uses Bastard packs for the rear, not exactly sure what that means?

The guy does awesome work, and I have heard nothing bad about his Fab skills, actually the complete opposite actually.

Im wanting this build to be a expedition style rig, something that can get me into the back woods, and out, and drive me to and from work every day as well.

So. Pay the extra $$ for LA's, and wait on bumpers, or do SA and get bumper(s)?

Pony up and go with the LA's. Much better ride, especially if you daily drive it. I had Rubicon Express SA with brackets and could not believe what an improvement LA's were in ride quality once I upgraded. Save up for the bumper later down the road.

Ok so this is what I'm getting.

Custom 4.5" Long arm lift.

Bastard packs in back, Doestch 8000 shocks and rough country 4.5" coils up front
IRO Double sheer track bar with heim,
custom long arms/crossmember
extended brake lines
Hack and tap SYE

The shocks, pitman arm and track bar are coming off of his personal rig, he said he is going higher on his and wants to do some different stuff i guess. Said everything is still good to go and will be cleaned/painted before i get it.

He is installing the crossmember for me, I will be doing the rest with help from friends in my grandpa's heated garage. any advice?

He is quoting me $1480 not installed( he IS installing the crossmember per his request) so that leaves me with $520 left in "credit" with him, so im thinking about having him build a front bumper.

This guy builds his stuff for rock crawling, so he builds it pretty solid. Ill get as many pics as I can and post them up, but like i said, if you look up POS Fabrication on Facebook, thats his page, and you can look at some of his work there.

Here are a few pics I took off his fb page:

Screenshot_2013-11-26-16-34-51_zpsd35e46b4.png

Screenshot_2013-11-26-16-32-51_zps431b0e65.png

Those are radius arms or "Y-link" style. Huge debate on those vs a long arm or 3 link. I don't like the 3pc crossmember. He's probably using S10 leaf packs to make a bastard pack too. On the + side there's really no good wheeling in Iowa so you won't really stress a setup like that. :)

Go here and read:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-cherokee/816361-totm-front-3-link-suspensions.html

Ugh. Now you have me debating this whole thing. I dont want something im going to be constantly thinking about in the back of my mind whether its going to be reliable or not.. This is roughly 2 grand worth of a trade, so, if You guys are telling me to seriously pull the plug I will. I just figured He wheels his stuff pretty hard, goes to MIOBI all the time i guess. I know the 4.5" LA from RC is like 1200, but thats without a track bar, so probably the same as what he is saying for his (1480).. HMMMMM....... lol.

EDIT: And the pics of the Y link, i just read the description on that pic, you are correct, thats not his LA setup. hes going to be sending me pics later this afternoon. : he just sent me a pic of the long arms, those are, in fact his long arms. HMMMM...

DO you think that that crossmemeber would be stressed enough to cause a failure?

NOTE: This jeep is not going to moab lol, just trails and mild stuff. However, i still want it completely reliable.

Last edited:
OH. He can do a SA 4.5" lift, everything the same other wise for $700 less.. should I just go that route and upgrade to LA later using the RC LA upgrade kit?

Here's a pic of virtually the same setup on his jeep

Screenshot_2013-11-26-17-11-52_zpsf4ab56b9.png

Last edited:
SO he just agreed, his are Radius arms, but he did tell me he wheels the piss out of his and has never had any problems.. What can you guys say on radius vs long arms, im still sifting through that pirate4x4 page.

Y link is a fine option, especially for a DD, MY TNT kit performs very well.

I would price out the components you are getting, and I also would not want bastard packs, I have had them and nothing beats a good leaf pack designed for lift.

Awesome, glad someone gave a ray of sunshine haha.

on the bastard packs, not sure if i've got an option with him on that. Might have to say leave out the bastard packs, and Ill use the extra Credit towards something else.

I THINK he gives new packs that he puts together himself, or atleast thats what the pic he sent me of another kit he put together suggested.

Ok, well the brackets where his Y-link attaches to the axle look crude. Is he fabbing a frameside bracket for the 4 link? I mean, I'm looking at this, and at $1500 you could do a 5.5" RE system with drop brackets and real rear springs. If 90% of your wheeling will be in Iowa, you're talking dirt roads, some class B unmaintained stuff, and mostly fields with some woods. You're probably looking at getting to your hunting spot and dragging a deer back. 31's or 33's will work great on a 4.5-6" lift. Rock Krawler also has some kits in that price range. As for RC, well, some guys like them, but I'm not impressed with their stuff. How's feedback on his work?

Edit: Most the long arms are Y-link, there's lots of debate on a true long arm vs Y-link.

Hah, he's in Indianola. Now I really need to ask around as he's in my old backyard. :) Facebook page doesn't look half bad. Lots of ruffstuff parts so those hiems and stuff he's using are probably from RS, which are decent parts.

Ok, well the brackets where his Y-link attaches to the axle look crude. Is he fabbing a frameside bracket for the 4 link? I mean, I'm looking at this, and at $1500 you could do a 5.5" RE system with drop brackets and real rear springs. If 90% of your wheeling will be in Iowa, you're talking dirt roads, some class B unmaintained stuff, and mostly fields with some woods. You're probably looking at getting to your hunting spot and dragging a deer back. 31's or 33's will work great on a 4.5-6" lift. Rock Krawler also has some kits in that price range. As for RC, well, some guys like them, but I'm not impressed with their stuff. How's feedback on his work?

Edit: Most the long arms are Y-link, there's lots of debate on a true long arm vs Y-link.

So far, all the feedback I've read has been nothing short of outstanding. The BIG thing with this deal is im trading something I already have for the work, so No money out of my pocket really. Im getting more for this trade than I could sell the rifle for really, although I could sell it for the $1500, however, I wouldn't have the bumper..

That green jeep isn't his, its his close friends, he built it. They take it to MIOBI (a private offroad park i guess up near him in indianola) and he said they wheel them HARD, and have never had a problem, and as you can see, its pretty flexy...

Hah, he's in Indianola. Now I really need to ask around as he's in my old backyard. :) Facebook page doesn't look half bad. Lots of ruffstuff parts so those hiems and stuff he's using are probably from RS, which are decent parts.

Yup. Thats another reason im trying to go with him, Hes a local guy.. He said the track bar I am getting is Iron Rock Offroad?

Iron rock has some decent stuff. I'm considering their truss for my rear 44. With him doing the work you'll probably make out ok. What kind of rifle is it?

Ugh. Now you have me debating this whole thing. I dont want something im going to be constantly thinking about in the back of my mind whether its going to be reliable or not.. This is roughly 2 grand worth of a trade, so, if You guys are telling me to seriously pull the plug I will. I just figured He wheels his stuff pretty hard, goes to MIOBI all the time i guess. I know the 4.5" LA from RC is like 1200, but thats without a track bar, so probably the same as what he is saying for his (1480).. HMMMMM....... lol.

EDIT: And the pics of the Y link, i just read the description on that pic, you are correct, thats not his LA setup. hes going to be sending me pics later this afternoon. : he just sent me a pic of the long arms, those are, in fact his long arms. HMMMM...

DO you think that that crossmemeber would be stressed enough to cause a failure?

NOTE: This jeep is not going to moab lol, just trails and mild stuff. However, i still want it completely reliable.

If I were you and you are set on dealing with this guy in some way then I would go with his kit but see if you can source complete leaf springs for the rear. The y-link will be fine for the type of wheeling you are doing and it will be a waaaay better ride for you than a SA with brackets. The biggest concern about the y-link is unloading in climb or even off camber situations. You are not doing any of that. Believe me, if you DD you will want some kind of LA based kit.

HOWEVER, if you want quality for the price and a lower price you could go with the Ironman 4x4 Fab LA/Radius kit with RE crossmember and have your guy still hook you up on the trackbar, etc and bumper build. Here is a link to the kit you want....if you consider Radius Arm style

http://www.ironman4x4fab.com/Products/LAK.html for $1050.00

Last edited:
Back