• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ABS delete and need info on plumbing the Proportioning valve.

Gray XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone, I have a 90 XJ that I am removing the janky ABS system from. I got the dual diaphragm brake booster and Master cylinder form Dave's customs and everything is going fine, but I am having trouble figuring out how to run brake lines from the brakes to the MC to the proportioning valve. I looked all around and have not found anything. Any help would be awesome.

No one? It seems a lot of people have done this.If someone could just take a pic that would help a lot. Thx

I used to have a picture from the junkyard donor, can't find it now. It will take a few, but I'll get a picture of mine.

Front port of mc goes to top front of prop valve. Rear of mc goes to top rear. I have my outputs plumbed as the bottom front and the rear most are the front brakes. The bottom rear output is the rear brakes. I think when I did it I blew some air into each port of the prop valve to see which outputs they were tied to. That's how mine is and it's been working fine

MC to Prop valve:

b53506f7-9ea4-4992-aac1-25737b0f26ca.jpg

The line with the union goes to the rear brakes. I took the hard lines for the front, from a junkyard donor.

008.jpg

009.jpg

If you have not, plan on changing the wheel cylinders in the back axle. The ones for the ABS are a smaller diameter, IIRC.

None the less, my brakes were not right until I replaced the rear cylinders to match the rest of the brake system.

Hypoid, how were your brakes not right before you changed out your cylinders? Which cylinders did you wind up using?

Does it matter which line comes form the MC to the top of the proportioning valve? I always thought the front of the MC fed the front brakes and the rear fed the rear brakes.

Hypoid, how were your brakes not right before you changed out your cylinders? Which cylinders did you wind up using?
The pedal would go thrugh half it's travel before you felt any resistance. The front brakes were working through the top of the pedal travel, though most people wouldn't feel it.

I had a hand in two other conversions before doing mine. I'm thinking we used '87 to '90, non-ABS wheel cylinders. For my XJ, I swapped in a different axle with all the related non-ABS parts. :)

Does it matter which line comes form the MC to the top of the proportioning valve? I always thought the front of the MC fed the front brakes and the rear fed the rear brakes.

Yes it matters. The front of the MC goes to the rear brakes

Back