• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sad Day

bluesport93

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys. Ive been a long time reader of this forum and you've helped me build my dd 93xj. im sadden to say that i rolled my xj while offroading and the body is a total write off....
Ive been reading for 2 days now on engine,tranny, tc swaps and im so confused as well as worried (ill explain):helpme:
heres my situation.....my 93 had only 69,000km when it rolled ( 4.0 ho 4x4, auto, np231, 5.5 RE lift, SYE, 8 1/4 rear) so id like to reuse all i can off this xj. I found a dream xj as a replacement body(2000 4.0 auto, np242,4x4, 313.000km) from florida with no rust(i live in Ottawa, Canada:canada:) so its a rare find up here. It runs and all but id like to use my engine tranny and transfer case on it if possible due to the millage. i also have a 1990 ax15 tranny with new clutch,,,,
can someone clarify for me what combination of parts i can use on the 2000 model and mods needed to accomplish a swap. Heres what i got to work with......

1993xj(rolled)(69,000km)- engine, auto tranny, 231tc(with SYE), rear and front axles(new bearings, brakes and seals),
1990xj- manual tranny with new clutch
2000xj- full truck im going to buy(extreme leaking valve cover,tc hard to get out of 4x4(truck stays in 4x4), dreaded 0331 head.

Any help would be appreciated as this is my dd. I know id be fine driving the 2000 for now after doing a valve cover gasket and tinkering with the tc linkage but im scared of the 0331 head plus it would be a waste not using all that extremely good stuff off the 93.

Thanks in advance guys for any help you can provide..
i will post pics soon

I'm very sorry for you loss. And there are much better experts on NAXJA than I. But I'll start the ball rolling.

To keep everything comparable, and looking at the low mileage (kilometerage in your case) I`d just swap ALL of the mechanicals at once.

thats what im hoping for...
in the ideal world id love to just take everything off the 93 (motor trans tc axels and bolt it in the 2000. But im not understanding the whole exaust ports dont match and witch head to use

i can also get my hands on a 97 xj with 225,000km and running.......if this helps....

I'll take a shot at this...
The 2000 is going to be tough to do. Lots of electrical changes that make things difficult, including emissions (probably has mini-cats with extra 02 sensors) and definitely has different exhaust manifolds. The transmission works differently electrically speaking (see kastein's "All you ever wanted to know about the AW-4" thread for the details there. )

The '97 is going to be much more doable IMO.

In either case, you shouldn't have trouble mechanically bolting up your current transmission, transfer case, and engine. But every sensor should be swapped to the newer model. Additionally, you'll have to do some work on the transmission to get the electronics talking, but I think its pretty straightforward (I've put a '98 into a '97 but haven't done an older one.). It's much harder to swap into a '98+ because they've got an extra sensor that there is no provision for in the older castings.

So the grossly over simplified answer is try to find a '97 or earlier if you want to use your current transmission.

You are going to dump the 2000 head along with the whole drive train. No worry about the exhaust ports in the head. You just need to change the exhaust. Hopefully the complete exhaust. All you need to worry about is the attaching points. If you want to keep the 2000 exhaust, you need an adapter plate. Of course you need to swap the computers too. ECU AND TCM.

Just thought of one other issue though, are there emission checks in Canada? In some states, you can't go backwards in years on engine swaps.

If the 2000 is from Florida it is most likely a 49 state emissions set up with only one cat. Only the California XJ's came with the 2 mini cats, 1 main cat and 4 O2 sensors. So, the exhaust will not be an issue. And the 0331 head issues are much less a concern on the 49 state legal XJ's, as it's typically the two pre-cats that increase the head temp causing it to crack. (I have a 49 state 2000 XJ 220k miles and no issues).

Most of that is besides the point though. I would just swap the entire drivetrain and PCM from the 93 to the 2000. The tricky part may be converting the 2000 from OBDII to OBDI. It may require swapping wiring harnesses. I haven't given it a thorough inspection, but I believe the PCM's vary between my '91 and the 2000. I could find out for sure later today.

Will the 2000 be street legal, subjected to emissions testing? If so, assume you will want it to be OBDII compliant.

How can the 1993 AW4 be made compatible with the newer electronics?
The 97+ AW4s have input and output speed sensors, without which a CEL will be set.
Can the older AW4 have the sensors installed?
The 97+ XJ's AW4s cannot use the traditional (pre-97) 1st-2nd gear re-wiring trick without setting a CEL because of the sensors.
When trying this method with my 2001 XJ, the computer goes into a limp-home mode and does not shift right until the code is cleared (I run a Montana Fab shift control to prevent this).

On the engine, a bracket will need to be fabricated to mount the coil rail.

Make sure the 2000 is a single cat, Federal vehicle. Some 2000 dual-cat, California-versions were sold in other states. The dual cat version will be next to impossible to get the manifold and dual mini-cats to fit or operate correctly due to different port pattern of the 0331 head.

wow...thanks for all the replies.....
So lets see if i got this.....i swap the head of the 2000 with my 93 head. i would reinstall the intake with all sensors from the 2000(so my 2000 ecu will work) onto my 93 head. then install my 93 exhaust manifold( as long as its a 49 state emission single cat system)

auto vs manual is going to be interesting. I need to collect my thoughts on this before I say anything... bump it sometime Monday if I don't get to it tonight.

You could do that, but why not swap the whole low mileage motor?
So your saying that i can bolt(straight swap) the 93 block, head and exhaust manifolds and exaust, while using the intake off the 2000 and keep the 2000 ecu??(and build brackets to hold coil packs.). Ive read alot of posts concerning this option. They say that using a older(such as 93 ) head and a 2000 intake will cause them to miss align by 1\2 inch and restrict flow.....
any thoughts on that??

Heres another question then....if i do this, does that mean i can use my 93 auto trany and trany computer or id have to stay with the 2000 trany due to the main ecu being 2000

They say that using a older(such as 93 ) head and a 2000 intake will cause them to miss align by 1\2 inch and restrict flow.....any thoughts on that??
Here's another question then....if I do this, does that mean I can use my 93 auto trany and trany computer or id have to stay with the 2000 trany due to the main ecu being 2000

The late model intake is popular upgrade for older engines with the log-style manifold. You may need to port match it.
It's the exhaust ports that are different between the 93 and 2000 (0331) heads, requiring using the proper header.
You should be able to use the 93's intake manifold, if you do not want to use the newer manifold. It will requires switching to the 2000's fuel rail and injectors.
The 93 uses a fuel return line and external pressure regulator, neither of which are present on the 2000.
Anyone know if the 1993 and 2000 fuel rails are interchangeable? (same spacing?)

Use the 93's header with the complete 93 engine. The 2000's exhaust system uses a 3-bolt flange where the header meets the exhaust pipe.
I believe the 93 uses a donut-type gasket, at the header/exhaust pipe connection, so the 2000's exhaust pipe will need the 93's flange welded on to match the 93's header.

If you want the OBDII stuff to play nice, you will need the 2000 transmission. The ECU needs to see the the transmission's input and output shafts speed sensors, which are missing in the 93's AW4.
Will the 2000 XJ be subject to emissions testing for registration?

It's the exhaust ports that are different between the 93 and 2000 (0331) heads, requiring using the proper header.
So i would be able to use my 93 head with 93 exaust header(as long as the 2000 doesnt have the mini cats) and use 2000 intake....(without any special adapting plates)

I believe the 93 uses a donut-type gasket, at the header/exhaust pipe connection, so the 2000's exhaust pipe will need the 93's flange welded on to match the 93's header.
So id be able to use the whole exhaust system(manifolds and exhaust piping) from the 93 if i put the 93 head on the 2000 block.....(AS LONG AS THE 2000 HAS NO MINI CATS) right??(and ofcourse a few hanger mods)....

Will the 2000 XJ be subject to emissions testing for registration?
NO...If i buy the 2000, it comes with 2 years emission...just needs safety...

Last edited:
So i would be able to use my 93 head with 93 exaust header(as long as the 2000 doesnt have the mini cats) and use 2000 intake....(without any special adapting plates)

So I'd be able to use the whole exhaust system(manifolds and exhaust piping) from the 93 if i put the 93 head on the 2000 block.....(AS LONG AS THE 2000 HAS NO MINI CATS) right??(and of course a few hanger mods)....

No, there is no need to use the 2000 block, it's a high mileage engine.
Use the 93's header and the rest of its exhaust or adapt the 2000's exhaust pipe to mate with the 93's header
You still have the OBDII transmission problem to deal with.

Im so confused for some reason. I guess im not seing this...

So you say use ALL my 93 block head and exaust manifolds, right?
Then use my 2000 intake so i can keep my 2000 computer happy, plus more airflow(compared to the 93 log style.... right?

You still have the OBDII transmission problem to deal with.
Cant i mate the 2000 tranny to the 93 block and everything be OK ??
And thanks for all your help...dont know why you called your self LAZYXJ....your far from lazy with all this help lol

Last edited:
I'm not gonna dig into how to make the engine + exhaust + o2 sensors happy just yet, but yes, you can slap the 2000 tranny onto the 93 block. All 4.0s, 4.2s, and hell, AMC V8s from like the 70s through whenever will bolt to that same bolt pattern as the AW4 tranny.

The real devil in the details is getting the 93 motor to work with the 96+ belt pattern and the 00+ cali/01+ all-models emissions/exhaust equipment. The 2000 intake will simply bolt on with all its assorted parts still attached.

edit: disconnect and remove the crank position sensor before splitting engines from trannies, it's easy to smash into it with the flexplate and ruin a $50 sensor.

thanks for the reply...

The real devil in the details is getting the 93 motor to work with the 96+ belt pattern and the 00+ cali/01+ all-models emissions/exhaust equipment.
Im planning on keeping the 2000 block to save time on swap(its winter here)
If i plan on only swapping the 93 head(which is better then the 0331) and exhaust manifold over to the 2000, and reuse everything else 2000(intake, sensors, accessory brackets etc...) shouldn't I be ok ???
Ive read posts concerning the o2 sensors and cats...but if this 2000 is the one without the mini precats and o2s (49 state emissions), shouldn't everything be good to go..

It's the federal emissions 2 o2 sensor one? Yeah, go for it. Swap 93 head/manifold/downpipe, you'll need to weld one flange onto it or use an adapter from the large diameter 2000 downpipe to the small diameter 93 downpipe at some point, then just get your o2 sensors in the right spots and you're good.

The 2000 cat won't bolt right up to the 93 downpipe, basically. However you solve that is up to you and doesn't particularly matter IMO. I would personally cut it somewhere between the crossover under the bellhousing and where it attaches to the manifold(s), then use a diameter adapter and weld it together.

Back