• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE Questions.

Green_99XJ

NAXJA Forum User
New to the forum. This is my first post.

I have a 99 XJ. Right around 6.5" or so of lift. I know I need a SYE but I'm still super confused.

Jeep has the NP242 in it.

I was looking at the IRO SYEs because they're under $200 and I'm a broke college kid. I just don't know which one to buy, whether or not I need a flange seal, how to install it, etc.

I've also been reading about shims. Will I need them after I do a SYE? If yes, how do I know many degrees of a shim I need?

You should use the Google, and do your research. There are lots of very informative SYE threads that will answer all your questions. The NP242 has 2 options, a Hack and Tap like IRO sells, and a modified mainshaft from Tom Woods. http://www.4xshaft.com/SYE/242LateDesignLatetransfercase27spline.html. Follow the install instructions included with your SYE.

You will need shims, and you will need to measure your Jeep for the correct size.

And this is why I'm sitting at a puny little 2.5" of lift on itty bitty 30" tires. This has all the signs of being the kind of thing that a guy like me could really just f*ck up royally and end up throwing away a LOT of money trying to fix/repair/replace afterward.

Any hack and tap will work just fine, as long as the driveshaft is the correct length, the lift, and cross member, are not relevant. I have installed both the IRO hack and tap and the Advance Adapters HD SYE. Both work perfectly.

Back