• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exterior Trim/Grill solution?

bghurc

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, so I got ahold of some herculiner for the floor of my Heep, and was wondering if I could go a little crazy with it. The grill and headlight trim is brittle, old plastic and is cracked and faded. I was wondering if I could brush-on Herculiner (or another type of liner) and if it would add to the structural integrity of the grill.

Also, the window trim is peeling and starting to look half-chrome. Has anyone used liner/spraypaint on it? I'm not refering to the wipes, or weather stripping, but the outtermost piece. I'd rather try to salvage the stuff I have, rather than go out and spend more money buying new pieves of trim.

Okay, so I got ahold of some herculiner for the floor of my Heep, and was wondering if I could go a little crazy with it.
You could....
The grill and headlight trim is brittle, old plastic and is cracked and faded. I was wondering if I could brush-on Herculiner (or another type of liner) and if it would add to the structural integrity of the grill.
I'd scuff up the plastic to help adhesion. You may get TINY, un measureabler benefits in strength... Personally, i'd lay strips of fiberglass into the channels on the backside, or just get a new trim peice, or just remove it all together.
Also, the window trim is peeling and starting to look half-chrome. Has anyone used liner/spraypaint on it? I'm not refering to the wipes, or weather stripping, but the outtermost piece. I'd rather try to salvage the stuff I have, rather than go out and spend more money buying new pieves of trim.

I see this all the time, but nobody i know cares enough to fix it... Typical body work rules apply though i am sure.

I'd agree with the above... having used Herculiner before you might get a little more rigidity with a couple coats, but the fiberglass strips would probably be a better idea to strengthen those pieces.

Herculiner is good stuff but I hear it will fade if exposed to sunlight. You may also find yourself having to scrub it a lot if you don't want it to hold on to dirt. I lined my rear floor with it and it's been very durable but probably wouldn't use it much on the exterior for those reasons. They do sell a UV inhibitor product you can add to it though.

For the window trim I would use spray paint rather than a bedliner product, it will come out looking much better. Dupli-Color makes a satin black trim paint I have used a lot and had good luck with. I'd sand, and prime if needed any peeling areas to get them smooth and even; the paint will only look as good as the surface beneath it.

I was thinking spray paint, I'll propably go that route. As far as the grill, I see what you guys are saying - I was just looking for a creative solution to leftover liner and a crappy grill haha.

Back