• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reasonable replacements for an 8.25 axle?

SolarBell

NAXJA Forum User
My current 29-spline 8.25 is giving me fits and I was thinking about seeing what else is out there that might be better to sink my money into.

The only two options I know of are the Ford 8.8 and the elusive Dana 44. I like the 8.8 as I can get it with disc brakes, but it's not that much stronger than my current and messes with my track width without spacers. I don't know much about the Dana 44's honestly.

What are the options? I'm sticking with 33's since my XJ is a DD and camper tow rig, but I'll be running about 210 rwhp soon. I'm not explicitly looking for bolt-in either.

What is your budget, and what is available either locally, or at a reasonable cost with shipping included ?

What makes you think either the 8.8 or the D44 is that much better than the 29 spline Chry 8.25 if you are sticking with 33's ?

KJ Liberty 8.25 disk brakes are bolt on for the XJ 8.25, and D44's are not that difficult to convert to disk brakes either.

Your opinions about all three of those axles are way off base.

8.25 is pretty solid on 33s.

D44 is a solid axle with lots of aftermarket support capable 35-37s and beyond in some rigs.

8.8 is a very stout axle for is size and rating. Some would argue stronger than d44 when polished. I know of quite a few rig flogging 37s+ without breakage.

All three of these axles can be had with disk brakes.

For a quick solid axle swap, you really can't go wrong with the 8.8.

It's plentiful in junkyards, (much more so than an XJ/MJ 44) it has disc brakes from the factory (no hodge podge mix n match stuff) it is strong (a lot stronger than an 8.25 and a bit stronger than a 44) and it is the right width and bolt pattern for you. No narrowing or custom shaft lengths needed. It is really your best option by far IMHO.

I've done 4 8.8 swaps over the years because it simply makes the most sense. All you need to do is fab or buy some spring perches and some shock mounts and figure out your driveshaft.

The bonus is finding one with limited slip and 4.10's in it already. You'd have a nice, bulletproof, cheap axle for 31's or 33's.

how exactly is your current 8.25 giving you "a fit?" id be more worried about the D30 before the 8.25, even on stock shafts, on 33s.

the 8.8 is quite a bit stronger, and with the right backspacing the track width is a none issue. if it is, rough country has spacers for cheap. youll spend significantly more money rebuilding the brakes, the spacers are chump change.

if your not geared and feel replacing the axle is the best bet, id look for something from a running jeep being parted out on craigslist. drop it in and go.

Well... the 8.8 is the right track width after you put wheel spacers on it anyway...

It's a fine track width as it is without spacers... It's not exactly the same as your front d30 but a narrow rear axle isn't a bad thing... You get a tighter turning radius for one. For two, I find it helps to have an offset track when driving in snow and mud because the rear tires have something to grab.

If you want to run spacers you can but it is certaintly not a necessity on an 8.8 swap.

how exactly is your current 8.25 giving you "a fit?" id be more worried about the D30 before the 8.25, even on stock shafts, on 33s.
X2... if you are going to stay with 35s or smaller, the 8.25 will not be an issue. IIRC the gears are limited to 4.56s but thats perfect for your 33s.
they are still cheap axles, slap a set of aftermarket shafts and JK disks..... DONE.

There are 4.88s available for the 8.25.

The difference between 8.8 and stork width is less than an inch narrower a side. I ran 31s on stock rims with no spacers and it fit no rubbing.

I'd have to agree about the 8.25's durability. I've run two of them in different XJ's on 33's. Both of them were locked with only 27 spline shafts. I beat the snot out of them and never broke anything. They're good axles, but I'm sure they have their limit.

I agree on the simplicity of swapping in another 29-spline 8.25. If you can, go with some discs at the same time. Or depending on what is "wrong" with your current one. get it rebuilt/upgraded.

8.8 FTW! Here's mine w/ a Ballistic Cover, and discs from a mid to late explorer-

To give you idea of the width- These are 4.75 backspaced procomp steelies- no spacers.

I just did 8.8 swap on my rig got less than 500 in it , only difference is I weld and did it in my driveway. It came with 4.10 gears I tacked the tubes and used ruff stuffs 8.8 swap kit, I did use the shock brackets off my D35 after I cut them down several inches.

Back