• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OBDII Gauges into 95 XJ

JeepFreak21

NAXJA Forum User
OK, so, I can't seem to find any info on this at all. I'm hoping that's because nobody wants to do it and not because it's nearly impossible. What I want to do is swap a gauge cluster from an OBDII Jeep... maybe a 97+ XJ, a ZJ, a WJ, or if possible, an even later 3.7l Jeep WK, JK, or KJ. Basically, I'm building a custom dash and I need a cluster that isn't as deep as the early XJ cluster. I also don't have money for aftermarket gauges and frankly, I just like using OEM parts from other Jeeps just to make people wonder if its original.

Soooo, without changing the stock '95 motor or trying to adapt the later model computer (simple sensors or sending units are fine), is it possible to adapt an OBDII gauge cluster to an OBDI Jeep?

I found a thread by John D that suggested the OBDII gauges are powered by the Jeep ECU, but I know several folks have swapped in the whole, late model interior.

TIA for any insight!
Billy

Last edited:
OBD-II gauges are in fact operated by the OBD-II ECU. You would have to swap over completely to OBD-II.

Tim is correct - OBD-I and pre-OBD gages are driven by discrete and separate sensor signals. OBD-II gages are driven by a datastream from the OBD-II CAN (Controller Area Network) bus.

I suppose you COULD use the shell of an OBD-II cluster and fit OBD-I gage mechanisms behind it, but you would also have to redo the wiring behind the IP so you could get the signals to the gages (which also means modification of engine bay wiring, passing it thru the bulkhead, ...)

Back