• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Comanche trailer hitch instructions??

mike61588

NAXJA Forum User
After years of searching, final scored a MJ hitch at the junk yard. Now for the install on my 1987. Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the installation instructions? Looks as though I will need to drill the frame and wanted to make sure to do it correctly. All help greatly appreciated.

Michael

I would assume It goes the same way that took it off at the junkyard?
That's assuming you took it off.

I've taken a few off...... Never knew the holes weren't all there from the factory.....

Seems to me you can mount it with the factory holes/bolts, then mark the places the hitch has holes but the jeep doesn't.... Then drill.

Thanks, using the hitch as the template will work well enough. Some times the instructions offer "tricks and tips" for making the install go smoothly. Thanks for the quick replies.

Some of the hitches they had only work on long or short beds..

Myth. In one day I got lucky enough to go buy a hitch off a long bed being parted out- which I removed, then hit the junkyard and pulled a short bed hitch. Both were sitting in the bed of my truck and neither looked any different from the other.

I said "some" not all. There other hitches they had that mount differently and only work on one or the other. There was a whole thread about it on here.

Did you pick up the rectangle spacers that go between the hitch side plates and the frame rails? They should be 1" x 2" and 1/4" thick and large hole for the bolt. (2) of them should be spot welded onto the hitch and the other (4)pcs go in during install. You hang the hitch on the (2) back bolts then pivot it up, there should be dimples in the frame where the spacers go for the other (4)pcs.

Back