• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Issue with ZJ disc to 44 swap

OverlandZJ

NAXJA Member # 101
I'm installing the XJ D44 into the ZJ and attempting to swap the ZJ disc's over.(Previously had TSM discs)

I have the caliper brackets redrilled, center hole enlarged, Teraflex spacer installed under OEM XJ44 retaining plate. Axleshafts installed into housing.

Heres where it gets interesting.. my rotors wont seat flush on the axleshaft flange. The rotor does fit over the wheel stud "shoulder" but stops short of seating correctly, it appears to be the slight "step" on the hub? of axleshaft just before the mating flange.

Yesterday I enlarged the center hole on one rotor like I did with the brackets, and got it to sit flush. But in my searching i'm finding no one else who reports this.

Did you swap ZJ discs to your 44? Did you experience this issue?

post pics. No one has ever had to do that. Do you have the right rotors? Are you installing this thing wrong? Ive done the swap its easy and straight forward.

I've never heard of someone having to wallow out a rotor??

Hmm

Neither have I Scott. I fear i'll end up being shown for the idiot I can be at times.. ;)

post pics. No one has ever had to do that. Do you have the right rotors? Are you installing this thing wrong? Ive done the swap its easy and straight forward.

My camera just took a dump the other day. I could take and post latest pics tonight.. this link shows my build up to the point of trying to fit the rotors.. including the work on caliper bracket.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1061371&page=20

All parts are coming from the ZJ D35 I pulled from my rig.

I'd love for someone to point out what i'm doing wrong here.

I'm installing the XJ D44 into the ZJ and attempting to swap the ZJ disc's over.(Previously had TSM discs)

I have the caliper brackets redrilled, center hole enlarged, Teraflex spacer installed under OEM XJ44 retaining plate. Axleshafts installed into housing.

Heres where it gets interesting.. my rotors wont seat flush on the axleshaft flange. The rotor does fit over the wheel stud "shoulder" but stops short of seating correctly, it appears to be the slight "step" on the hub? of axleshaft just before the mating flange.

Yesterday I enlarged the center hole on one rotor like I did with the brackets, and got it to sit flush. But in my searching i'm finding no one else who reports this.

Did you swap ZJ discs to your 44? Did you experience this issue?

Funny! Now that you mentioned that, I had to enlarge the center holes in the rotors on my XJ also. Even funnier is the fact that I have not seen it mentioned on the forums I have visited prior to doing the conversion.

To keep every thing simple for me, I got from a Pick-A-Part in Miami all the break parts from a 1996 ZJ with the Laredo package to match my XJ year of 1996. I followed all other instructions I found and did the modifications and installation with never a problem,...that is until I tried to put the rotors on. The entire hole was opened up to maybe less that 1/8 inch total. Nothing that a dremel could not handle.

I used TJ rotors on my D44 and the rotors slid right on, which makes sense because it was a D44 disc to D44 , not a D35 disc to D44 swap.

Last edited:
I ran into the same problem when I put ZJ discs on my XJ D44. I chose to (because I had access to a large lathe) turn down the hub on the axle shaft to match the rotor so that in the future I didn't have to modify the next set of rotors.

OK now I feel better about the issue seeing where others also had to clearance.

I opened one rotor up like I did the caliper brackets.. square from front to back. I now see that I could have just deepened the taper on the backside and been ok.

Appreciate the input...

Are all of these just with stock 44 axle shafts or does anyone have this problem with alloys from any manufacturer?

Mine is all stock. Came from a 1986 or 1987 (I do not remember) Wagoneer.

I used TJ rotors on my D44 and the rotors slid right on, which makes sense because it was a D44 disc to D44 , not a D35 disc to D44 swap.

Are those TJ rotors bolt spacing 5 X 5.5" or 5 X 4.5" like the XJ?

I wouldn't want to open out the center hole with anything other than a lathe, seeing as that's what actually locates the rotor. But I'm weird like that, I either don't care at all about something or it has to be absolutely perfect.

I had to do the same. Used zj centric premium rotors, and they were a hair too small. Used a cylinder hone that i temprarily glued some 400grit sandpaper to the abrasice blocks. Worked great, no issues.

Back