• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my jeep is ruening my hunting trip!!!!!!

kenny schmitt

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 xj 4.0 4x4 manual. my brake lights just stopped working seems to be only the brake lights. i have checked the fuses (#25 abs, cooling fan, climate control and brake switch) replaced the brake switch.... nothing, i have searched and it seems other people have multiple problems or the lights work with a fuse or switch.
i was supposed to take the truck on a hunting trip tomorrow so i am a bit rushed. i am going to try to check wires later but don't know where to start or what else it could be. any help or direction would go a long way thanks:helpme:

Check your grounds.

the main ground for the rear part of the wiring harness is behind the drivers side interior trim panel (behind where the stock spare tire mounts). I would start there, it's not unheard of for that ground to work it's way loose and cause tail light and trailer harness problems. if your jeep does have the tow package with the trailer harness check that wiring for cuts or breaks as well.

Last edited:
GrimmJeeper's location:

DSCF2371.jpg

I got so hung up on the wiring when my brake lights quit working that I forgot to check the simple stuff. I had two burned out bulbs. :twak:

the connectors on my 89 renix brake light switch on the pedal come off from time to time. check that.

thankyou sidewinder i checked those grounds but did not do it. the bulbs looked good as did the fuses and the switch is brand new. i guess i have to test some wires now. which wires is the question

Do both tail lamps work (headlight switch on)? The tail lights use the same ground as the stop lamps.

Have you examined the lamp connectors closely for corrosion?

Have you used a voltmeter to see if you have power at the tail and/or stop lamps connectors?

Do both tail lamps work (headlight switch on)? The tail lights use the same ground as the stop lamps.

Have you examined the lamp connectors closely for corrosion?

Have you used a voltmeter to see if you have power at the tail and/or stop lamps connectors?

That's the best advice. Check for power at the bulbs and work your way back through the system until you find a break (that's assuming your grounds are good).

Also, don't just assume the bulbs are good because they LOOK good. I just spend two days tracking down why my low beams didn't work .... both bulbs were out.

That's the best advice. Check for power at the bulbs and work your way back through the system until you find a break (that's assuming your grounds are good).

Also, don't just assume the bulbs are good because they LOOK good. I just spend two days tracking down why my low beams didn't work .... both bulbs were out.

Good advice. Same with fuses. Use an Ohmmeter to check them, or just replace them.

I got so hung up on the wiring when my brake lights quit working that I forgot to check the simple stuff. I had two burned out bulbs. :twak:

This happened to me too.

I was sure that all three wouldn't go out at once so the first thing I did was replace the stop lamp switch and dove into wiring.

New bulbs fixed the problem...

for future searchers:

simple test for standard 1156 and 1157 bulbs is to use a 9V battery to check operation. Place one terminal of the battery (doesn't matter which) on the lead nipple on the bottom of the bulb and the other terminal on the metal base. A good bulb will light (slightly dimmer since you're only using 9 volts) the filament that's attached to that lead nipple. If it's a dual filament bulb, proceed to check the other filament with the other nipple.

This is as quick and easy as anything I've found to check them and the battery is just big enough to reach the base and nipple without needing extra wires. I keep a 9V battery in the console for checking lots of stuff on the heap-- it's more than strong enough to actuate relays as well.

Back