• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231C input shaft length.

jonzer12

NAXJA Forum User
I am tracking down some 231 internals to put in my new billet rangebox that is going in front of a dana300.
I have the option of 231c from a 96 chevy. I understand this will be 4 or 6 pinion planetary. My question is the input shaft length. I have a 2000XJ with the aw4. I understand this means my 231 has the "medium" length input shaft. Can I use the 231c input shaft?

You should also check spline count and seal surface diameter. Not sure on the answers to any of these questions, but you should keep this in mind when looking at the parts you find.

I am tracking down some 231 internals to put in my new billet rangebox that is going in front of a dana300.
I have the option of 231c from a 96 chevy. I understand this will be 4 or 6 pinion planetary. My question is the input shaft length. I have a 2000XJ with the aw4. I understand this means my 231 has the "medium" length input shaft. Can I use the 231c input shaft?

You can use your old input gear with the new planetary as long as your input is the same gear cut, which it should be. If in doubt check the bearing on the input, the wide bearing is early gear cut and the thin bearing is late gear cut.

Back