• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

86' XJ 2.5L Block Heater/Power Steering pump bracket.

colafson

NAXJA Forum User
1986 Jeep XJ 4X4 / AMC 150 2.5L

I have been having troubles getting at my Freeze Plug. Both Manifolds are directly in the way of all three. I tried taking the Power Steering pump bracket off to get my hand in there but the bracket flares around the last short bolt that goes to the P/S Pump. The bracket also has to Block mounting points and the second closer to the middle of the block is very hard to get at due to the Motor Mount/Stabilizer being right up against it.

Am I going to have to remove Intake Manifold? And Exhaust Manifold?
Has anyone else dealt with this problem. It is getting down to -19 here already and I need that Block heater in.

Pics: http://imgur.com/a/ZMHdi

I'm not a big fan of block heaters. Two have leaked and another the power cord rotted (actually Jeep OEM from the factory).

I now use a magnetic pan heater 200 watts and a motor blanket of about the same wattage. Both have built in thermostats.

The blanket is usually enough, except when it gets really cold and has the added benefit of keeping the battery warm also.

If it is the freeze plug I am thinking about, yes you will need to pull the manifolds.

last time I replaced a freeze plug it required a manifold removal. I'm sure I coulda done it without removal, but the contortionist skills necessary were lacking in my case.

I did not need to pull the manifolds, but I did have to remove the P/S pump. I have a feeling I should do a write-up on the subject. I haven't had a problem with mine leaking yet and to protect the Heater Wire, I bought a single extra long Titanium Spark Plug Boot and Wire Sleeve. I have heard they can be a pain in the arse, but it gets down to -(30)'C and could get colder here so these are mandatory as well as 70/30 Antifreeze to Water mix.

There is a U-shape in the Driver's side motor mount and you can get your hand in the to remove the second bolt hold the P/S pump bracket in.

I need to go back a replace a stripped bolt on the back of my P/S reservoir.
Would any one like me to document it and do a detailed write up with pictures. I would being willing to; as there isn't one in the Chilton Repair Manuals or online for this specific engine. If I get enough requests I will follow through with it.

Last edited:
My '84 came from the factory with the block heater. It had to be replaced about 13 years later as it leaked. Replacement didn't require manifold removal. (but that was an unbolt and wiggle out job)

My 2001 units would require manifold removal to install a heater. Instead I put an oil pan heating pad on them. Easier to install and seems to help as much as coolant heater.

Back