• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj axles swap. bad dana version? please share info.

kelso1

NAXJA Forum User
I have a set of 6 lug axles off a 79 d150. I am told that these front axles had a horrible wheel bearing design. Is this true?

D150 = dodge

D150 = 2WD Dodge 1/2 ton.

W150 = 4WD Dodge 1/2 ton.

Dodge never used six lug axles in any of their half-ton trucks in the late 70s AFAIK.

I'd be willing to bet he's talking about an FSJ or Chevy.

Sorry, they are 5 bolt. no tags that I can read on the axles. did some have a bad wheel bearing design on the front?

Should be no worse than any other D44. If it had an NP203, it will have drive flanges instead of hub locks. Easy enough to change that though.

Pattern will be 5 on 5.5 same as a ford.

Incorrect.

Dodge front D60s up through '93 are great axles. Dodge Rear D80s are great axles.

Generally, I'd stay away from any Dodge 1/2 ton front axle. They either had the terrible unit bearing design, or a CAD system like the early XJs.

Good info to know. I thought that would be a problem. Is the housing any good to use as a custom build or do I need to keep looking? Anyone have a unwanted xj dana 44? If I decide to use the

Back