• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driver Side Front Coil Rubbing

4jeep4

NAXJA Forum User
I just recently installed a new 3" lift from Fat Bobs Garage, with new 3" coils in the front and shackles in the back and longer shocks all around. I didn't install longer sway bar links yet and after driving it for a day I could hear the sway bar on the drivers side rubbing the coil occasionally.

Being annoyed with the noise while waiting for new links to arrive I removed the stock links, thinking that would also get rid of the noise. But it did not go completely away and after looking I could see rubbing marks from the coil on the inside of the wheel well (drivers side). When I installed the lift I re-drilled the front track bar axle bracket over towards the drivers side ¾”. Is this not needed for a 3 inch lift, if I'm thinking correctly, with the track bar in the stock location it should bring the axel towards the driver side is that correct? Should I relocate the track bar back to the stock location?

Thanks for any help or ideas.

Moving the track bar to the stock location would make it worse because it would shift the axle to the passenger side even farther (or is it further?). Drilling the axle-side hole 3/4" to the drivers side moved the axle slightly to the drivers side, but probably not enough if you are rubbing. You likely need a new adjustable trackbar which can extend further and eliminate this issue.

other way around actually, moving the hole to the driver side shifted the axle to the passenger side.

3/4" was too much for just a 3" lift, gonna have to either fess up for an adjustable bar or weld a new bracket ... when readjusting the axle position you only need to shift roughly 1/2 the value of the offset measured.
you could try a relocation bracket, or pick one of the hole that annoys you less (stock position may rub the passenger side).

other way around actually, moving the hole to the driver side shifted the axle to the passenger side.

3/4" was too much for just a 3" lift, gonna have to either fess up for an adjustable bar or weld a new bracket ... when readjusting the axle position you only need to shift roughly 1/2 the value of the offset measured.
you could try a relocation bracket, or pick one of the hole that annoys you less (stock position may rub the passenger side).

Yeah thats what I was afraid of. I am going to try and relocate the bar back to the stock position and see if it rubs much on the passenger side. Then after that, will probably need a new bar when I find it does haha.

Is there any tricks to moving the bar back? Is it tough to shift the axel back over? Thanks

Have a friend turn the steering wheel SLOWLY with jeep sitting in ground.This is with the track bar unbolted from the axle side. I found this to be the easy way. Lets you see when the holes line up.

Turn slowly with motor off.

Ok thanks for the ideas, I'm going to try it tonight. Not holding my breath that this will line up well for me on both sides but I can only hope right. :)

Have a friend turn the steering wheel SLOWLY with jeep sitting in ground.This is with the track bar unbolted from the axle side. I found this to be the easy way. Lets you see when the holes line up.

Turn slowly with motor off.

Thanks for the advice this worked very well for me, it was almost too easy. After putting the track bar back in the stock hole I think my rubbing issue is gone for the most part, I need to drive it some more and see what happens.

Thanks again.

When I had 3 inch coils in my heep, I ran it with the stock TB in the stock location. Drove/tracked fine.

As the axle moves further away from the body, the track bar arc will pull it towards the drivers side. A budget move is to move the hole. The track bar only centers the axle under the jeep at ride height.

The problem here is that your swaybar needs to move forward. Most the higher end kits like RE have a relocation kit that moves the bar forward and down fixing this problem.

Longer swaybar links are all that is usually needed.

Back