• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question for Differential Experts

metalflames

NAXJA Forum User
Picked up an XJ dana 44 yesterday and started the tear down. First issue that had me scratch my head is how the carrier just falls in and out with no effort. Second is the damage between the carrier / axle tube and the outer axle bearing. All the damage is localized to one end of the carrier and the tube. during my inspection it seams there was some weld that had burned through from the case through the axle tube. I am assuming the bits of steel I found had broken away from that. I haven't found any other damage to any gears or the carrier but I have yet to break down the carrier completely. Is the damage to the end of the axle tube an issue?

dana%2044
http://s765.photobucket.com/user/frankenstein1340/slideshow/dana 44

That carrier/bearing are done. It shouldn't fall out, you should have to struggle to get the carrier out of a 44. I'd clean up the end of the axle tube inside the housing, also make sure it's straight. Take a straight edge that will fit inside the tubes and run it through the carrier it should sit flat on both tubes. That burn thru looks like one of the plug welds, you can dress it up but it won't hurt anything.

The question is how are the caps/carrier where the bearing races sit? Were then installed on the right side? There will be a letter stamped on the housing and on the cap, one set will be vertical and match up on one side of the housing, and the other set will be horizontal and will match up on the other side of the housing. As long as those are in good shape and the tubes are straight, get it clean clean, clean and put good parts in it.

The carrier being trash is a non issue for my build I would be replacing the carrier for a 3.92+ set up. Upon further inspection I found some wear on the thrust face (?) perpendicular to the bearing journal. The caps were still in the proper locations based on the factory "J" punch marks. The carrier bearing races do not seem to have spun the machining still looks good and the races show no external wear. Also the fact that there seems to be no preload what so ever has me puzzled. Any ideas? Ive read that the older 44's came with .010-.015 preload vs. the newer 44's only .003. But this being a 1991 at best I guess it doesn't matter.

The carrier bearing races go against the machined section of the housing. The section that is chewed up is the end of the axle tube. Clean that up and get all the little bits of metal out of there. When you disassemble it, save the shim stack from underneath the race for the pinion shim, and note the marking on the stock pinion. This will help you get a starting shim stack for the new gear set.

Oh, clean up that weld that is hanging down inside the tube.

Make sure you didn't break the plug welds and spin/move that tube around. That would explain the extra clearance and metal found inside, usually they will start to seep oil too.

Well the conciseness seems to be that the ol' 44 should still be usable. I read this forum FAR more then I contribute but thank you for the insight.

Back