• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4x4 Shops?

CartsXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I live in upstate new york, around the lake george area. Anybody out there know where I can get gears and diffs installed. I call the local tire shop and they wanted $250/axle. Does this sounds reasonable? I will get the parts from randy's, drivetrain warehouse, or someplace like that. Not ready to do it yet just looking for options. I am pretty mechanically inclined, would love to tackle myself, just don;t have the right tools or time. Any advice would be great thanks.

That is a good price. If they allow you to get the parts your self that is great. But if you haven't thought about other parts and labor yet let me give you a couple of ideas. Ball joints, axles seals, axle bearings, fluid, u-joints for the front axles, hubs for the front, carrier with spider gears or full case lockers, gear set with master install kits. The labor for the gear set up is 250, plus whatever else your going to have done will cost you some bucks as well. I only bring up the other stuff because while there taking it apart, you might as well have that stuff replaced, cheaper now and easier now than later. Just my 2 cents. Juice

I just had gears done. And I bought all the parts myself. Got 4.56's front & rear, front Lock-Right, rear No-Slip, rear bearings & seals, front seals, balljoints, TJ shafts, u-joints, SYE kit & driveshaft, $800 for just labor, OUCH! But I saved alot in the long run having it all done at the same time

I've got a question for the people who buy the parts from one supplier, and have the parts installed by a local shop. What are you going to do if something goes wrong and parts/axles are damaged?

It would seem to me that the shop is going to say they just installed the "inferior" gears/rebuild kit/etc. you supplied, and the supplier of the parts is going to tell you the parts were installed wrong. I dunno, it sounds like a good way to save money and a great way to have an expensive (or frustrating, anyway) problem.

Is it really that much more expensive to buy the parts through the same 4WD shop that does the work? Then they take on the responsibility for the "parts and labor" since they supplied both.

Back