• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone used these or interested in a Group Buy?

TheDeliveryPro

NAXJA Forum User
My Cherokee headlights just plain suck. I have read through some threads about expensive hid projector builds, and crappy hid kits for the stock light housings which can cause light to bounce all around and possibly blind oncoming drivers.

Has anyone tried this light upgrade?

Would anyone else be interested in a group deal to get a better price?

http://www.xtralights.com/79-01jeep...dium=organic&gclid=CM6Dnovr17oCFStBQgod7mIAfw

IMO, any housing that has the sides of the projector lense open will bleed an amazing amount of light all over everywhere. True projectors are sealed.

So, that leaves the JW Speaker lights for projectors and Truck-lite for just an LED replacement.

The ones you have referenced can be had, on eBay, for as little as this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/7x6-BLACK-CHROME-PROJECTOR-HALOGEN-CRYSTAL-GLASS-HEADLAMP-H4-LIGHT-BULBS-PAIR-/231075337851?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35cd29d67b&vxp=mtr

Do the research and you will discover that the two mentioned lamps are the best out there. Specdtuning has a replacement that I actually order in only to discover that out of the four available mounting location (it replaces everything) only the top two were used AND, there were no aiming provisions in the assemblies.

So, I am saving my pennies for a set of JW Speaker. Even though the Truck-lite assemblies are less than half the cost.

OH MY GOD don't get those they are junk. Bought a set do a projector retro fit and all it is a shitty lousy bulb and magnifying lens. Housing worked great for what I needed it for but defiantly a waste of money other wise.

Last edited:
O gauge, thanks for the info. I guess they will set me back a little in my parts quest to get the Jeep road worthy. I'd rather do it right the first time.

Funny this site wants $999 for a set of Jw speakers. Seems like the owner has an XJ and wants to get a free set when some poor sucker stumbles onto his site and buys these for more than double what others are charging lol. Maybe he wants money for installing them himself too. http://www.quadratec.com/products/97009_803X_PG.htm

Black XFE thanks as well, you yelling OMG made me chuckle a bit. Good times

I would just go with good h4 housings/bulbs, until you can afford a nice/more expensive set

My Cherokee headlights just plain suck.

Every stock XJ's headlights suck.
Forget about the bling headlights and fix the problem with a solution that was proven to work long ago.

-Upgrade the headlight harness wiring to get full voltage to the bulbs.
-Get a high quality set of E-code H4 housings, such as Cibie, IPF or Hella, that throw a good light pattern.
-add a set a high power bulbs, I run Hella 80/100 watts bulbs in IPF housings.
http://www.amazon.com/HELLA-HLA-H83140171-Halogen-Bulb-Road/dp/B000COBLKW
Properly aimed, they fill the road with light and do not blind on coming drivers, the Euro-spec housings have sharp cut-off light patterns.

If more light is needed, add a set of bumper-mounted driving lights, for back or off-road use.

I just got in the Bussmann Fuse block and the Hella relay block as well as the male and female H4 connectors to do the wiring on my rig. What I intend is a "one stop shop" for all the lighting. Head lights, each beam one relay so, two of the four dedicated for that. The remaining two relays to be setup for driving lights and what ever else I can think of to jam onto the front.

Just perform due diligence. None of us has money to throw away.

Just because it quacks like a duck...

google 'headlight tech thread naxja', i wrote up a thread about headlights on the xj and got a lot of good replies.

you can make the lights totally serviceable for under $200, totally awesome for under under $500. Spend more, get more.

Thanks for all the responses, I think I can live with the Cibie h4 set and the HELLA HLA-H83140171 H4 12V 100/80W Halogen Bulb Off Road Use
by HELLA that were mentioned above.

I like the idea of a fuse block dedicated to lights up front and would like to add driving lights and an led light bar into a custom front bumper later.

I've also noticed its easier to locate a thread via google. Good stuff, in this forum and its members - I've never had a vehicle that I've been excited to work on, and this XJ is changing that alongside this forum.

Thanks for all the responses, I think I can live with the Cibie h4 set and the HELLA HLA-H83140171 H4 12V 100/80W Halogen Bulb Off Road Use
by HELLA that were mentioned above.

Don't forget the wiring harness, no point in housings and high power bulbs while still using the already lacking stock harness.

You will love the Cibies. Just make sure you have them aimed properly.

As far as fuse blocks Blue Sea offers some nice low profile fuse blocks. I'm eventually going to get one and mount it on the cowl in the engine bay. I need to clean up some wiring for the light and other accessories.

Back